Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building first scanner help.

Default Building first scanner help.

Hello everybody, I am brand new here but I do have experience with lasers, but not laser shows. I have ordered one of these http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.co...oducts_id/8651 from a group buy. And was planning to buy a moderate power 532 with analog modulation, and then add more to build on to it as I get more money

My question is what else do I need? I know in future I will need some more lasers 473/640ish and some Dichroic filters. I also need a DAC but have no clue which one to buy. I was looking at moncha 2.0 pro, but can't find it any where else but Ebay for $500. I'm looking cheep but works well, I won't use animations too often... What do you guys recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

Also, if there is anybody in the bay area with a laser scanner, I would LOVE to meet up with you.

To get started all you should need is the scanner set, a laser, and a driver with analog modulation... you can use sound activated or DMX mode(if u have dmx) until you get the DAC.
    If your planning on spending 500 on a dac just save yourself some trouble and get a FB3.

Welcome
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Thanks, A couple questions. Most lab style lasers that say they have analog modulation means the driver is built in right? I don't have a DMX and don't know what that is.

How much is that DAC and where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks again.

If your talking about the FB3 dac you can get it direct from pangolin.com. The FB3 is about the best, but you can make one(dac)/ buy a Soundcard dac and get spaghetti for allot less than the FB3, but withought all the awesomeness that is the FB3.

If a laser is claiming any kind of modulation then it includes the driver....Im not sure of any lab lasers that are sold(stock) without drivers.
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

How much do they usually go for? I'm trying to get cheapest possible.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bhwollen View Post
    How much do they usually go for? I'm trying to get cheapest possible.
    You really do not want to go for the cheapest possible with your DAC. I would go for a cheaper, less power laser than a cheaper DAC. The FB3 is probably the best hobbyist DAC on the market. Check out Pangolin.com or CTlasers for pricing.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I would go for a cheaper, less power laser than a cheaper DAC
    Truth!

10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

What about using one of these? http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_d...ection_Amp.php What else would I need to build the DAC?

Lightbulb

I spent $150 on mine from Laserboy at the 2008 SELEM and it came with converted sound card and correction board. If you are in the US, I'll sell you mine for $100 shipped.

I still stand by my above statement, but if you want to learn for yourself, I have both cards sitting on my desk.

For James... although I believe Nautilus Int is actually the good dr... soon to be Dr.

Last edited by allthatwhichis; 05-28-2011 at 09:07.