Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADAT blanking problem

Default ADAT blanking problem

I'm working on some old ADAT shows that I got as 7 - 8 .wav files. I have been converting them with Soundforge to 8 channel .flac format to play using Winamp. Most of the shows have some issues with spikes.

My first attempts I tried lowering the level of the spikes and noticed anything after the spike, it seemed like there was something that had corrupted the files and (lack of) blanking became an issue.

I thought I had it all figured out. Go to the spot with the spike, backup to the end of the last song and cut everything forward out and have a shortened show that worked. Wrong...

Used my desktop (much faster computer) to edit the shows and then put the finished shows on a disc and transfer them to the laptop laser computer and play them. A lot of hours of thinking I had something that worked turned out to be a waste of time.

I found a couple of complete shows that had no spikes and after getting everything to .flac, just cut the 20+ seconds of intro that had nothing (all 8 channels), and cut the end of the show that had a long stretch of nothing and thought I had a finished show.

Even the shows with no spikes are having blanking problems. Sometimes it is noticeable but not that bad. Other times the graphics have so much lack of blanking I can't even tell what they are. Some shows seems like they are good to a certain point and then it is like the blanking is just gone. Other shows are messed up from start to finish.

The one thing I just thought of and have not tried is turning the volume down some in Winamp. The shows are mega bright with the volume all the way up. Maybe I am over modulating the shows?

The other thing I have thought of is maybe it is an issue with using Winamp to play the shows. Maybe something like Spaghetti would play them correctly?

Any suggestions for what to try next? I only have a week to get some shows together.

-Gene

It is possible your original rips are bad and they did not have a solid locked clock source to them. This would cause the varying of working blanking.

Also what OS are you on? You need to be on XP.

Do you have the ability to use an ADAT as a DAC and use the lightpipe as ASIO output to it from the wav files. This would be the only way to verify that the source WAV's are good.

If you need a set tested I can look at them if you haven't the equipment. If you do (have the equipment) feel free to PM me your phone # and we can discuss it over the phone as it will be easier to explain the setup and programs needed to verify the WAV's.

The crazy peak spikes are usually digital hits that occur'd when coming from the master on capture.

As mentioned you need to verify the integrity of the wavs or you might just be wasting time. Did you ever try the conversions using LC-ADAT?
    Last edited by polishedball; 08-24-2010 at 08:08.
    leading in trailing technology

Also try spiderplayer for playback of the file for what you have done to your DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    I'm working on some old ADAT shows that I got as 7 - 8 .wav files. I have been converting them with Soundforge to 8 channel .flac format to play using Winamp. Most of the shows have some issues with spikes.

Even the shows with no spikes are having blanking problems. Sometimes it is noticeable but not that bad. Other times the graphics have so much lack of blanking I can't even tell what they are. Some shows seems like they are good to a certain point and then it is like the blanking is just gone. Other shows are messed up from start to finish.

The one thing I just thought of and have not tried is turning the volume down some in Winamp. The shows are mega bright with the volume all the way up. Maybe I am over modulating the shows?
    -Gene
    Make sure your sound player settings have all EQ and effects turned OFF! Otherwise who knows what it is doing to the data. A single spike in a IIR digital filter could mess up everything... on the other hand adding echo and chorus might look cool, who knows?

like polishedball said, I had problems with several players screwing up the signals coming out of my ADAT FLAC files until I tried spiderplayer, it seems to work just fine

No luck... shit

1. All my computers use XP

2. No ADAT. I only have the sets of 7 or 8 .wav files for each show.

3. I have no way to verify the integrity of the files.

4. No EQ or effects are turned on.

5. Spider Player downloaded / installed / and still the exact same problems.

6. Winamp and Spider Player volume down is no help. It does fade everything out, but the no blanking effect is still visible.

I suspect corrupted wav files during the conversion from ADAT, although I was told they are all fine except for the spikes.

I also suspect I am pissing in the wind to keep trying to make these shows work. It's a shame too, because most look like they would be great entertainment. I would guess out of over 15 hours of shows, I might be able to copy / paste 45 minutes of playable shows.

Thanks all,
    -Gene
    Last edited by Phredy1; 08-24-2010 at 15:57.

What drivers are you using for the I assume Cmedia soundcard? Did you ever go into the effects area?>

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    What drivers are you using for the I assume Cmedia soundcard? Did you ever go into the effects area?>
    Actually I just plugged in the USB cable and it installed no problem. I was surprised that XP had the drivers for it, but it worked fine.

If all the shows did the exact same thing with blanking I might look into a driver or other issue. One short show plays fine from start to finish. A couple of shows (that had no spikes) have the first part of the show playing fine. Then a slight blanking problem is noticeable. The last part of the same show is terrible. Other shows play like crap from the beginning to the end. Each show plays exactly the same no matter how many times I play it. Reboot and still exactly the same problems on the same shows. Play other shows and go back to the problem show and exactly the same at the exact same time.

My opinion is the .wav files are messed up with a capital F.

-Gene
    Last edited by Phredy1; 08-24-2010 at 18:23.

I could take a look at one show with the problem and see if I can do anything. I don't have a projector to test but I do know how to manipulate .WAV files with custom software.

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarlow View Post
    I could take a look at one show with the problem and see if I can do anything. I don't have a projector to test but I do know how to manipulate .WAV files with custom software.
    I appreciate all the offers, but no way now - even if we found what the problem was, to get some shows working by next Tuesday.

I have decided it is one of two problems:

1. The original .wav files are not exactly as they need to be.

2. Somehow converting individule .wav files to a 8 channel .flac with Soundforge is causing the problems.

Either way, I don't have enough time now.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and offers to help.

-Gene