Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LivePro and Windows Media Player

I'll probably never use it as I do all my beat synching using the speed controls
    Out of interest, is there a reason you do it this way rather than using the 'tap to time' functionality?

It seems a bit long winded using a fader to 'hunt' for the required speed, when a few taps on the spacebar followed by one on backspace brings everything perfectly together.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Out of interest, is there a reason you do it this way rather than using the 'tap to time' functionality?

It seems a bit long winded using a fader to 'hunt' for the required speed, when a few taps on the spacebar followed by one on backspace brings everything perfectly together.
    Yup, the easy way is not always the best way...

When DJ'ing with vinyl the easy way to bring a record back in time when it slips out is to slow the platter with your finger or twist the spindle to speed it up, The correct way to do it is to never touch the record and use the pitch fader. Send the pitch too far and bring it back in then the correction is not audible... Takes practice but the end result is worth it...

Same with LivePro, the tap function works great on a string of frames advancing next on beat, but try it with layered effects and key effects and it doesn't look so good. Add audio delay into the equation and it can look horrible.

After a bit of practice using the speed faders is a far better way of doing it. The likes of Hugo Bunk and Rupert Morse often use the faders and it was Rupert that showed me that trick...

I now pretty much have it down to a fine art so that I can have an animation going to the beat while the effect/key effect or colour cycle goes with the rhythm... Have a play around and practice and you'll soon see the benefits...

One of the great things about LivePro is that there is no de facto way of doing things, every laserist finds their own way, and this helps make your show unique... I design my own workspaces with my own cues to suit my style and keep my shows different form everyone elses...

Mark

Add audio delay into the equation and it can look horrible.
    Do you mean using beat detection? If so, I never use it at its always been, at best, bloody awful!

I'll have to have a play with the faders

The correct way to do it is to never touch the record and use the pitch fader
    I'm not sure I'd agree it's the 'correct' way - I'd say it's 'one' way (which I've seen lots of DJ's get very, very wrong...even good ones)

Do you mean using beat detection? If so, I never use it at its always been, at best, bloody awful!

I'll have to have a play with the faders
    I never use beat detection either, like you say it's not that great... Depending on where you are located in a venue and how the speakers are laid out can mean that you hear the sound with a delay... Sunday night I did a venue where there were four stacks pumping out 60k all along one wall... I was on a bridge above the dance floor next to the DJ and monitors, I was picking up all manner of delays due to my location. Found the best way to pick up the beat in the end was to feel the vibrations through my feet on the bridge...

I'm not sure I'd agree it's the 'correct' way - I'd say it's 'one' way (which I've seen lots of DJ's get very, very wrong...even good ones)
    Like I say, it's all about practice...

Mark