Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on SELEM; thoughts for improvement...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thought this thread deserved a "bump" for casual reading and reflection when you all decide to take a break from frantically building projectors and drawing frames....

Smile

Thanks for the reminder, Brad. I just re-read everything again. Amazing... It doesn't feel like a year has passed! Lots of good suggestions in this thread though.

The biggest change for this year will be the auditorium layout. We'll have the curtains closed, with all the projectors positioned on the stage apron in front of the curtain. That way we can leave the lights on where the computers are set up and still run shows in the auditorium. I hope to be running shows as close to non-stop as we can this year. (That is, when we're not doing the live laser show work in the auditorium, or playing along to Mario as he spins for us.)

Regarding a show schedule, I put together a loose schedule about a month ago and posted it. But yeah, it will need to be adjusted as SELEM starts. I've got a form I'll use to assign people "blocks" of time to run shows. If we can figure out the TV system in the venue, we'll use it to pop up the schedule from time to time on the monitors so people can see what's coming up next.

This reminds me: For the people who have shows that they'd like to run: Please cue them up in a "play-list" of some kind - whatever your software allows you to do. If you're running Pangolin, set them up in Autoplay. If you are using Mamba or Spaghetti, see if you can combine them into one long show. Otherwise you'll be stuck at your computer pressing "load", then "play" for each show, and that's going to suck if the curtains are closed. (You won't see the show!)

Regarding multiple-projector shows: If you have a specific show that is designed to run on multiple controllers and multiple projectors (Aaron, I'm looking at you), we'll set aside a specific time to run them, but we *NEED* to be sure the network is up and running first. For all other shows, we'll use the ILDA splitter that I have to run 10 projectors off a single controller. That way everyone's projector is on (so they can see it run in the auditorium) and we don't waste time fiddling with timeline settings to add projectors. (I can hook up the ILDA splitter in a matter of seconds.)

Adam

I'm working on a way to have enough controllers on one PC... . Not sure if I can pull it off but I am trying.

Spaghetti supports play lists so anyone using that should be able to set it up ahead of time. Is anyone planning on using Spaghetti, by the way? If so, find me because I'd like to watch. I won't be bringing my projector nor plan on showing anything... I'm totally a spectator this year.

I know that Chris (LazerJock) has several shows that I want to see. (The "Time to Start" show by Blue Man Group is one of my favorites.)

So yeah, anyone using Spaghetti, *PLEASE* make a play list in advance. That will save us a bunch of time when we're ready to run shows.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ...Regarding multiple-projector shows: If you have a specific show that is designed to run on multiple controllers and multiple projectors (Aaron, I'm looking at you), we'll set aside a specific time to run them, but we *NEED* to be sure the network is up and running first. For all other shows, we'll use the ILDA splitter that I have to run 10 projectors off a single controller. That way everyone's projector is on (so they can see it run in the auditorium) and we don't waste time fiddling with timeline settings to add projectors. (I can hook up the ILDA splitter in a matter of seconds.)

Adam
    Speaking of which -

Do we have a rough idea how the RGB projectors will be set up for multi-projector show support?
    I know in my case I would ideally like to have center graphics, center beams, left beams, and right beams.
    I could work with whatever is available, but it would definitely save some time if we know what will be available in advance, so we can program our shows accordingly.

Also, I still think it would be VERY helpful if the projectors are "plotted" on some sort of readily-accessible chart as they are put in place, with the projector position and its network ID recorded. Might save some time for the last-minute show programming changes that might be needed to fit the SELEM layout...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'm running Spaghetti, but I think you already knew that.

Gary,
    I hope your bringing a laptop and DAC at least.

Adam,
    Do you know what shows you want to see of mine other than blue man? I will put togother a playlist if you let me know.

Chris

I have spaghetti, but no projector... anyone is welcome to hook up and use it with a playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Speaking of which -

Do we have a rough idea how the RGB projectors will be set up for multi-projector show support?
    I know in my case I would ideally like to have center graphics, center beams, left beams, and right beams.
    I could work with whatever is available, but it would definitely save some time if we know what will be available in advance, so we can program our shows accordingly.

Also, I still think it would be VERY helpful if the projectors are "plotted" on some sort of readily-accessible chart as they are put in place, with the projector position and its network ID recorded. Might save some time for the last-minute show programming changes that might be needed to fit the SELEM layout...
    * bump *

Anyone, Anyone....Bueller... anyone?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka
    Not a clue, but it's very kind of you to volunteer for the job of coordinating projector placement. Good luck with your new assignment!