Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single phase to 3 phase

Ok thanks for the info!! Now I have a huge headache now..... But It looks like Ill have to go with the converter.... I just wanted to see if there was any other way... Thanks!!

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    \

Well, the bathroom balances are a new wrinkle, and a useful one at that, but we have similar rigs in the states, plus we use(d) booster pumps to suck extra water out of the line. Ice machines in clubs consume massive amounts of water, so I would rather deprive the ice machines and automatic dish washers of flow then loose the show
    Steve
    You have to make sure that the ice machine's decalcifier can take the flow if you are sucking from there. Lexel tubes HATE cal. Still probably teaching a grandmother to suck eggs here!
    As for the balances they have "saved" many of my tubes cos the flow switches are just too late when they kick in. (apart from getting demagnetized quite frequently). All this is much more important in long term hires.

Nice to know I am not the only mug lugging stuff around the place!

Cheers

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Don't buy one! Build it!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPFdFgfH6E

They are super easy to construct from common scrap motors and a few pulleys. I built a 7.5HP unit for less than $100.

300, Very true.

I have also seen home built ones go bzzzt- POP (shower of sparks) and fry a nice vfd. If it is just for home then build, if you have money riding on a show the pro ones are just part of the price of admission for ions. Along with a ton of good hose, feeder, pump and blatter bag...

chad

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    300, Very true.

I have also seen home built ones go bzzzt- POP (shower of sparks) and fry a nice vfd. If it is just for home then build, if you have money riding on a show the pro ones are just part of the price of admission for ions. Along with a ton of good hose, feeder, pump and blatter bag...

chad
    Why would there be a VFD if he built a rotary phase converter? A VFD is overkill anyway since the power is just getting rectified back to DC.

There's no reason for a rotary phase converter to fail as long as you're not overloading it and you use quality phase shift capacitors.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about the vfd. This was not a laser application. It was a cnc machine. The vfd he had would have to be de-rated too much to use it as the single phase to three phase converter. That is why he built a rotary converter then to the vfd.

The point I was trying to make is, when you are doing real shows for real money the goal is to have stable and reliable gear. You are only as good as your last show.

chad

Lightbulb

This is not for show use, this is just to use in my shop. And I did find a nice 15hp. motor, and I have a 2hp. pump motor to use as the starter, and I have a 65kw step down trans. to take it from 240 to 208, to keep the SP happy Any thing eles I need?
    DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster View Post
    Why would there be a VFD if he built a rotary phase converter? A VFD is overkill anyway since the power is just getting rectified back to DC.

There's no reason for a rotary phase converter to fail as long as you're not overloading it and you use quality phase shift capacitors.
    The SP265 is a different beast then most ion laser psus.

If you use a big VFD with a laser psu you'll be amazed at the size and portability.
    Besides it gives that nice smooth 360 hz ripple. Your typical analog Lexel supply does not care with that big smoothing choke known as a buck-boost and LC filter, but SP's transformerless, marginal weight supply has some unique limits as to what kind of crud it will put up with. Hence VFD does not equal overkill for Matt.

Lexel = rapidly repairable, eats cruddy power, does not care as long as the three legs are close in voltage.

SP is designed to be elegant and light weight. However, when it breaks, = return to depot maint, and usually requires a curve tracer to fix. SP solved the SOA curve problem with stacked, parallel, strings of NPNs, and if stressed, whole can strings pop, then the control card ends up looking like the expended casings of a 4th of july fireworks shoot. SP is delicate to the point that each NPN has a fuse, and there are a lot of transistors to regulate the tube as well as the magnet having its own regulator. This is why SP carefully specs 208 and NOT 245 as the input. They work great, but are not very forgiving,are complex, and are a huge maze of #22 multicolored wire. SPs filter inductor is KNOWN to overheat/meltdown with 120 hz ripple.

You can have a SP265 schematic and yet still spend 30 minutes locating a specific wire in the internal bundle as there is no color code list in non SP hands. SP265 will run forever if not stressed. Stress one, and your heading for the bench with a pile of parts and a lot of detail work.

Thus Matt needs to take some care in how he does his phase conversion.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-29-2010 at 16:06.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    This is not for show use, this is just to use in my shop. And I did find a nice 15hp. motor, and I have a 2hp. pump motor to use as the starter, and I have a 65kw step down trans. to take it from 240 to 208, to keep the SP happy Any thing eles I need?
    DJ Matt

Lots of high grade motor start caps and a way to check the balance of the load and the cathode current, ie a AMP-CLAMP.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...