Thread: Upgrading cheapo RGV laser, questions..

Default Upgrading cheapo RGV laser, questions..

I have a cheap ~450mW RGV, and in some months I am going to perform a lasershow for about 70 people, and I would like to upgrade the laser to make it brighter.
    I have a budget of about $300.

The current specs are:

about 160mW 660nm after scanners
    about 150mW 405nm after scanners
    about 100mW 532nm after scanners (I have turned this down to about 40mW for better color balance for now)
    All modules are TTL.

What would you guys spend the $300 on to make the laser better? I'm thinking a dual LOC red module and a 445nm module, is this a good idea?

TTL or analog? The green is already TTL so I don't know how well that would mix with analog red and blue.. And TTL drivers are much cheaper and more available.

DIY or buy complete? I think I can build a decent 445nm module without correction optics myself, but a dual LOC setup is harder.. Are there any kits available or easy ways to align the two beams? What PBS cube should I use?

Also, the current modules in the projector are screwed into the aluminium and the screws are covered in glue.. How can I remove the glue safely and unscrew them?
    And how should I secure the new modules? I don't have a drill etc to make threads in the aluminium breadboard.

Buy 3 flexmods to make everything analog. Rip out the 405 and ad 445nm.

Cheapest way is buying an O-like housing 405nm ( 12 dollars and power it with a flexmod)

Find out wat the current is that uses the red and green module at full power.Measure between the driver and the module. If youb now what the current is that your babies use then install the driver from DR lava and adjust it to the same current.

No upgrading the red? Wouldn't ~40mw green, ~50mw 445nm, ~160mw red be very weak in a hall?

And the red module has a fan and the green has a TEC, how can I power those as well as the laser?

The main problem with the red is the wavelength. 660nm isn't very visible at those powere levels.

However, as I don't build modules I can't tell you where to go from here.

It may be possible to add some 640nm red but you need advice from others on here especially as your budget so low.

235 Euro isn't much to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The main problem with the red is the wavelength. 660nm isn't very visible at those powere levels.

However, as I don't build modules I can't tell you where to go from here.

It may be possible to add some 640nm red but you need advice from others on here especially as your budget so low.

235 Euro isn't much to play with.
    How about 635nm? Are the any available and somewhat cheap ~200mW 635nm diodes I can build something of?

635nm is very bright but slightly orangey. 640nm is redder but only very slightly dimmer so is a good compromise which is why its so popular. It also has good beam specs.

635nm is a fat beam so you get losses at the scanners unless you can collimate it successfully as not all the power will hit the mirrors or exit the projector.

I believe there is a group buy at the moment of 500mw 638nm diodes. I'm not sure if its possible to join or how much a module kit would be if anyone's going to offer one. I believe some people on here are experimenting with collimation solutions at the moment as these particular high power diodes aren't as tight as the lower spec ones on beams spec.

I believe that 300mw 638nm are the best diodes for beam spec.

However, again, I'm not the person to advise you as building is outside of my experience. To get specific advise, you need someone on here with module experience.

Default ME 2

GRIX

I as well have the famous SHIMP 500 RGV, and I am going to up grade as well, If I can get passed all of that epoxy! I guess thats why their so exspensive, do to the amount of glue used, havn't found the gum or bailing wire yet, but still looking!! My 650nm LD module seems to be very dim now compaired to when I first got the RGV and started useing it. I'm thinking it's the driver but not shure. What is the PC board that all the LD Modules plug into, would that be the DC source and TTL modulation PC board or what?
    EmoryAttachment 19118Attachment 19119
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    635nm is very bright but slightly orangey. 640nm is redder but only very slightly dimmer so is a good compromise which is why its so popular. It also has good beam specs.

635nm is a fat beam so you get losses at the scanners unless you can collimate it successfully as not all the power will hit the mirrors or exit the projector.

I believe there is a group buy at the moment of 500mw 638nm diodes. I'm not sure if its possible to join or how much a module kit would be if anyone's going to offer one. I believe some people on here are experimenting with collimation solutions at the moment as these particular high power diodes aren't as tight as the lower spec ones on beams spec.

I believe that 300mw 638nm are the best diodes for beam spec.

However, again, I'm not the person to advise you as building is outside of my experience. To get specific advise, you need someone on here with module experience.
    Yea, about 300mW 638 would be ideal, but I cannot find such a diode anywhere. The 500mW GB is out of my budget, especially with beam correction optics..

@beamann: That's not the projector I have, I have a RGV from Spacelas.

Default 10 kpps GALVOS upgraded to 30 kpps

I bought a set of 30kpps scanners w/mirrors, amps, dc powersupply, and ILDA signal converter all in one packedge deal on ebay for $250 including S&H and have installed them in the cheapy unit, Every thing fit inside the host, all the connecors fit into place with no modifications to any PCB or to any of the wireing. Took about 1 hour. It made a big differance in the fliker on the graphics, Next I am going to change out all three LD modules. I have 2 w of 445nm, (waiting for Dr lava's dual mount) w/TEC module, 1.5 w 650nm w/TEC module, 1w 532nm pumped diode w/TEC module. The host circetry is set up for TTL color mod ,but want to go analog, have not figured that part out yet or how to calculate what mw to run each wave length at to get color balance. This proto project is all for makeing a projector that I can FDA CDHR MFG variance. not too savvy on this but working on it. Any tips?

@ GRIX, Sorry for asuming your's was the same as mine, I was hopping to get some tech data from you that the Chineese didn't supply, You seem to be alot more up on the tech than I am.
    Emory
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)