Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus & Spyware Protection?

Default Virus & Spyware Protection?

What are most of you using for *COMPREHENSIVE* very good anti-virus software? what about anti-adware/malware spyware programs?

I ma running AVG (paid program) with Search and destroy right now and it seems that alot of stuff slips by both of them.

most notably my wife loves her goddamn Facebook, but she clicks on every fu**ing link that is sent to her for games, and "read this now" emails and pictures and videos.

I would like a good, adware, spyware, malware, trojan what ever spyware program and a top-of the line virus software.

any reccomendations?

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Antivirus: Avast Free Edition

Malware: Malwarebytes

Both are free and both are excellent programs.

-Gene

Edit: With Avast Free, choose Custom Install and uncheck the Avast Toolbar
    Last edited by Phredy1; 08-29-2010 at 08:57.

Another vote for avast. Use Spybot and Adaware for spyware.

I use AVG free and Spybot with Monzilla and add ons. I do see things slip by but when something funny window pops up and says are you sure you want to navigate away from website and looks like a fake MS window from. I just Cnt. Alt Del. and shut down the website cold so there is no clicking to get out of it. Been using it for a couple years with no issues.
    Slick Laser 2.4w RGB
    Omnisistem 1991 RG Q-Beam
    Hene Tube
    Shitty mistake Chauvet Scorpion fat beam

Lightbulb

I used to use MS Live One Care but they discontinued it. I might get flamed for this but I use the free MS Security Essentials. I have never had a problem with either program but I don't do 90% of the shit other people do on the interweb that gets them in trouble.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I would suggest eset nod32 for antivirus/antimalware system.
    Its very well updated and has a low impact on computer performance, I run it on my pangolin quickshowsystem without hassle as most of the other software I guess, but with my experience since I gone through the most of them in my line of work that eset has the best software right now for this.

IMO:

AVG used to be good. The newest version seems to create as many problems as it tries to fix. I don't know what they did for the new version, but on the 3 computers I put it on it caused crashes. Uninstalled the AVG (use the free Revo Uninstaller) and installed the free Avast and no problems.

Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware both are ok programs. They both find about the same amount of infections as Malwarebytes. Where I had problems is removing the infections with Spybot and Ad-Aware. I have had a few stubborn infections that both could not remove. Malwarebyes has removed 100% and finds the source files and registry entries and removes them as well.

Tip for Revo Uninstaller: In the Found Leftover Items section Select All button / Delete button. It looks like you are deleting the whole registry, but it only deletes what is in bold. Same thing for Files and Folders if it finds any. The best uninstaller and it's free!

AVG used to be good. The newest version seems to create as many problems as it tries to fix. I don't know what they did for the new version, but on the 3 computers I put it on it caused crashes. Uninstalled the AVG (use the free Revo Uninstaller) and installed the free Avast and no problems.
    This concerns me as I use it for Serato live djing mixing and since I have installed the new version it does not let me turn it off. I use to be able to right click the icon and shut it down to save on resources but have not seen that option since.

I haven't had any issues with it on but
    I may have to switch. I don't use my gig laptop for internet on this laptop except using it to go out of town. Thanks for the advice

Exit hijack
    Slick Laser 2.4w RGB
    Omnisistem 1991 RG Q-Beam
    Hene Tube
    Shitty mistake Chauvet Scorpion fat beam

I would suggest a second machine with fast re-image ability, there's no easy fix for a clickyhappy user with no idea IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I used to use MS Live One Care but they discontinued it. I might get flamed for this but I use the free MS Security Essentials. I have never had a problem with either program but I don't do 90% of the shit other people do on the interweb that gets them in trouble.
    I use MSSE too and I can warmly recommend it. I've never had any trouble with it and it's caught and disarmed several threats. So far it has not let anything bad through. As for the other software... I used to have NOD32, but I think MSSE is better. Most AV software bugs the crap out of me, because they don't keep a low profile. The only alternative to MSSE I would consider today is Symantec endpoint protection.