Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Mini GB on scanner cases

Expressing interest

Peace,
    dave

I see you are considering mounting the baseplate up on some angle aluminium. I did the same thing for my old scanner, however please don't make the same mistake as me and use little 3mm screws. The threads in soft aluminium strip wayyy too easily.

sent you a PM regarding these

also I love the floating laser/galvo idea

The design is good, but I do suggest extruded aluminum for the frame (I am biased) I have a planned design for a case using it. 1/4" will fit in the slots of most of it.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I am def doing with large bolts to hold the rails to the base plate, prob 1/4-20 bolts with .75" length, no way for those to strip.

Do you have a link for the extruded aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    I am def doing with large bolts to hold the rails to the base plate, prob 1/4-20 bolts with .75" length, no way for those to strip.

8020 is on of the main suppliers there are a few others too you can do the main site or they have decent deals on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330351272615 they have a bunch of stuff. that would add flexibility to move the middle shelf if need be (large green bench PSU?). Direct link: http://www.8020.net/ I didn't take the time to find the competitors.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post

Do you have access to Metric fasteners? M5 or M6, nice... I love metric fasteners, nice fine pitch thread (less likely to vibrate loose).
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Do you have access to Metric fasteners? M5 or M6, nice... I love metric fasteners, nice fine pitch thread (less likely to vibrate loose).
    over here they are a pain in the ass to get

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    Really? We have no issue obtaining all thread types here in Aus, UNC, UNF, BSF,BSW, Metric Fine, Metric Coarse, ISO etc, although metric has become the defacto standard in many electronics almost world wide.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    Find your nearest Fastenal branch http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex If they don't have them in stock they will have them the next day in their store. I find it's best to look up the part number on their Web Site before heading over. They also don't require minimum orders if you need just 2 of an odd item thats what they will order for you.