Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Mini GB on scanner cases

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jim=- View Post
    Find your nearest Fastenal branch http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex If they don't have them in stock they will have them the next day in their store. I find it's best to look up the part number on their Web Site before heading over. They also don't require minimum orders if you need just 2 of an odd item thats what they will order for you.
    ya there are places down here to get them, but I dont want to make special trips for screws, I have quite an organized collection of common screws I use

also pretty much everything I use as far as hardware already uses standard screws (newport mounts, optical tables, etc) so why would you mix metric and standard?

That extrusion won't work with the way I'm trying to design the case. Thanks though...

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Do you have access to Metric fasteners? M5 or M6, nice... I love metric fasteners, nice fine pitch thread (less likely to vibrate loose).
    This was more geared to US buyers so I'm prob going with American standard bolts. They are cheaper over here and I have a much larger stock of the tooling to tap the holes.

I'm going on vacation for labor day (huge outdoor rave in Austin, Tx) so I wont have updates for about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    That extrusion won't work with the way I'm trying to design the case. Thanks though...

This was more geared to US buyers so I'm prob going with American standard bolts. They are cheaper over here and I have a much larger stock of the tooling to tap the holes.

I'm going on vacation for labor day (huge outdoor rave in Austin, Tx) so I wont have updates for about a week.
    Have a great time!
    leading in trailing technology

<edit> pictures and description removed so I'm no longer accused of a hijack - never my intention <edit>

Rob
    Last edited by stanwax; 09-05-2010 at 02:04.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

no hijack in progress nothing to see here

Rob
    Last edited by stanwax; 09-05-2010 at 02:02.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Ok people as promised are some pix of Little Stan. The case is in 6 parts excluding baseplate which I can supply waterjet cut and anodised if anyone is interested.
    The parts are
    2x side panels which once attached to the baseplate should never need removing
    1x internal panel for mounting all the external electrics to. This is mounted to the baseplate so that either of the lids can be removed and the laser can still be operated fully without dangling wires. Has fittings for my ilda board to go directly onto the rear panel.
    1x hanging bracket with dual handwheel lock off providing 90 degree angle rotation.
    2x lid one lid forms the base and front panel the other the top and rear panel
    The base is not central but allows enough space to mount DT drivers & laser-wave drivers upright plus plenty of room for switchers. In the top there is enough height for laser-wave lasers (up to 1200mW green).
    See pixs for all the parts and how it screws together plus a couple of the 3W I built into one for Kevski.
    I dont se any reason this would not come into the budget discussed here but I will price it up properly with and without various options if there is any interest.
    One thing so we are clear - and please dont think Im being pig headed - I have develpoed this design for MY needs - I am not looking for further development suggestions, if you like it as I may be interested in throwing it up for this group buy but I will not be modding it to suit the group buy.

PM or post interest and I will price it

Rob
    nice looking case but doesnt this kinda belong in its own thread and not misterwilling gb feeler?
    leading in trailing technology

Yes maybe it does I put it here as the design being mooted in this thread is very similar in style layout and dimmensions and I was just suggesting maybe we dont need to re-invent the wheel as i have done the dev on this nobody needs to start from scratch.

Rob

Yeah, Its called hijacking someones thread Rob... Good show old chap!

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Yes maybe it does I put it here as the design being mooted in this thread is very similar in style layout and dimmensions and I was just suggesting maybe we dont need to re-invent the wheel as i have done the dev on this nobody needs to start from scratch.

Rob
    Last edited by dave; 09-04-2010 at 18:43.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Question

Ka ora,
    Any thoughts of some rubber isolators for the mounts for the top layer ?

I havn't forgotten about this thread but I think I'm going to slow progress down a bit. Instead of trying to do everything CAD modeled first, I'm going to order some extrusion and build a prototype. The problems with my first scanner case all came from going to quickly and not testing everything out.

I also don't have the money right now to put anything in the case(lazors are expensive) .So I'm going to do things slowly and see if I can't get this thing built as solid as possible.

I should have a mock up prototype in about a month or so, I will keep you guys posted. I expect to have a finished product sometime around the end of December when school gets out and I have more free time.

Thanks,
    Austin