Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilda laser projector load balancing? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    hmm yeah i should..
    sorry for asking.. but who exactly is the spaghetti guy?
    That's Gary Harper, aka JohnYayas on this forum. I'm pretty sure Spaghetti already does multiple projector output. I'm also sure he's quite capable of doing what you are talking about, but the question would be whether or not it is within the scope of what that program's function is. Anything is usually possible, it's just up to a combination of why/time/money ya know?
    -Mike

I think I understand what you mean.
    and well i think when done it will be beneficial *i might got a part wrong*
    *I read you asking what would be the benefit of making a software ( I might be wrong)*
    Well it save's alot of time doing it by hand ^^
    i will try to contact him... however Í don't really know yet what to ask XD

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Spaghetti and Pango and LDS, etc. can do multi track to multi projectors, this is nothing new but what he is talking about is a bit different - for complex graphics display 1 frame split between 2 projectors.

I posted about this in particular at the start of 2009
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-in-point-rate

Mike, I know we have discussed this technique, but I must have missed your video links. Which thread?
    cool good to know, I wanted to get a copy at SELEM from Gary but I was so busy all weekend I forgot lol

It's interesting that this topic came up because this is something that I have thought about doing for a little while. The purpose wouldn't be for load balancing, though. It would be for doing things like projecting a 360 degree laser image, or easily having a ball bounce from one projector output to another. You can do that sort of thing with layers but not as easy as dividing your ILDA view into sections and drawing on it.

The load balancing idea sounds better in theory than it would probably work unless it was very controlled so that objects were tracked and kept with the same projector. Imagine an asteroids game where asteroid objects float around. If the load balancer was smart, it would keep track of the asteroids so that the same projector always displays the same asteroid. But, a simpler approach would be for the software to track some arbitrary segments. This could lead to objects jumping from one projector to another and would almost definitely result in asteroids that change in color and shape as they go from one to the other. It would be very hard to make this sort of thing work for general ILDA display without these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Mike, I know we have discussed this technique, but I must have missed your video links. Which thread?
    Hey Guys, I uploaded that video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FybC_tRtVVE

It is a little rough, but you should be able to get the idea for what I'm trying to do.
    @Gary- a 360 room of a ball bouncing would be WICKED!

-Mike

very nice Mike! Can't wait to see more of your software.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post

It is a little rough, but you should be able to get the idea for what I'm trying to do.

-Mike

Nice work!

You got me all of a flutter this morning.. I love lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post

-Mike
    Now thats awsome ^^

And i fully agree with JohnYayas
    that proble I was thinking off too.
    it might be a cool idea if it could track the objects and stay with them.. even though this would be hard, it is possible.
    Once the new shapes are created it assigns it in the conversion and keeps them at that specific projector.
    once it dissapears it leaves it.

This might get unneficcient on a few ilda files *if certain shapes from one projector dissapear*
    but it just might give a little push to less flickery graphics..

However doing this sounds like an hard effort.

Anyone know what specific problem causes to deform split ilda files? if you play them simultaneous?

I think instead of letting the software do it why not let the timeline do it? have it so you can assign tracks to projectors and then decide, hey, im going to send these graphics to this projector, and these other ones to another projector...

unless your specifically talking about real time application generated stuff (like the asteroids example)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

This was common in the late 70s and in the 80s, with one head PER COLOR, techniques. Ie a red head, a yellow head, a green head, and a blue head.

If your galvos have good linearity, ie old General Scanning or Modern Cambridge, this is not a problem. But Linearity costs money, and from what I've seen, few if any of the "cheepie" modern scan sets have it or even test for it. So you would have to UGC them in software for a match with graphics.

There are velocity corrected test patterns such as the "Laser Media Clone" pattern out there.

Nough Said!

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...