Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FB3 and RJ45 (cat5)

Default FB3 and RJ45 (cat5)

Guys im looking towards the future as I have no plans on upgrading to a QM, in fact I plan on buying another fb3.

You can buy cheap on the web usb to RJ45 convertors, has anyone tried one with an FB3?

The plan would be to go completely cat5 so also use an RJ45 to parallel plug in side the projector.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy
    Both myself and Kev use long pairs of CAT 5 to run ilda to our projectors. We use little in-line double RJ45 connectors and I have wired them to connect to a DB25 male on one box and female on the other. With 16 conductors you can send RGBXYZ interlock, shutter and ground signals
    Putting RJ45 on the projector is a good idea but then its non standard....I would stick to the db25

Rob

PS FB3s in stock for next day delivery....
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

thats good to know.

the plan would be starting from the laptop -

usb to RJ45 convertor, then run a cat5 cable to the projector. on the projector would be a rj45 to parallel port convertor.

i only want to run a single cat5 cable not a doubled up one.

indeed it is none standard but hey ho, i like to be different
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Wouldn't the Belkin networked USB hub/router (or similar) as detailed here solve this problem? Since the router provides 4 network ports it seems to me that it should work equally well wired or wireless.

OK you wanna do it different to me, I have the FB local and pass the ilda signals over distance
    You will need a USB extender the only ones I know of that work and work well are from amplicon.
    Personally, as I hate USB and dont trust it - I would prefer to have the FB local so if it goes on a bender you can reset it. I had perfect experience of that on Sunday night where my smoke machine (which is very noisy) locked up the FB3. Had that FB been on stage and not acessible I would have been stuffed.
    Incidentally the FB3 is very very imune to noise and thats the first time its ever happend to me and I blame the noisy fogger as the culprit here

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

PS An RJ45 to parallel port adaptor will not work as it will be wired to make a parallel port function not an ilda wired db25!
    If using a usb extender you will get a transmitter to position locally and a reciever to have at the FB end.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Wouldn't the Belkin networked USB hub/router (or similar) as detailed here solve this problem? Since the router provides 4 network ports it seems to me that it should work equally well wired or wireless.

Thats exactaly what I do. I built the FB3, Belkin networked USB hub, and a wireless router into my projector so I can use Cat5, wireless, or DB25. No breakout boxes needed for converting from cat5 to db25 either. And a quick connect so I can remove that whole shelf easily to get to everything underneath.

10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

That's a sweet idea.. wish i had room in my cases for that stuff. I currently use VNC software to solve my cabling issues, but there is a tiny bit of lag introduced when remotely controlling another computer. It's not noticeable to me, but if you want to be picky the networked USB hub is much better because of the lack of lag and the ability to easily control multiple USB devices. How does the wireless router do while the case is sealed? Seems like the metal walls might affect your range..

I still use long runs of telephone cable for the interlock/kill switch.. I just don't trust anything but hard wires for that.

I used the Belkin Home Base to remotely connect my two FB3 to my computer, and it works relatively nice. I had my laptop directly wired to the Belkin with 40 meters of ethernet cable, and then my two FB3 on the integrated USB hub.

Then from one FB3 I have simple adapters (DB25 -> RJ45 <- DB25) so I can run ethernet cable again instead of DB25.

I had small issues, first at the TCP connection between laptop and Home Base, I had short network disconnections. I suspected the long cable run and the RJ45-RJ45 adapter between two cables (I had no 40 meters ethernet cable so I put two cables together) to collect too much noise, and that was not improved by having no router between laptop and Belkin to boost the signal.
    I solved it by having a shorter travel with only one 30 meters cable. But I should add a router the next time.

Second problem was some slow down in the software when playing the show, but fortunately that happened once or two times during all night, and was resolved by closing LivePro and remotely disconnecting/reconnecting the FB3.

That's not what I call a rock solid solution but it may do the job. At least I noticed no lag at all with this solution!

The wireless works fine whenever I use it. If I go to a show I normally take the fb3 out and just use the db25 connector since my kill switch is on those pins, but the wireless is GREAT for just playing around. Its great only having to connect 1 wire(power) and not dealing with 50ft of ilda cable and DMX in my room. I upgraded the router to wireless N router so it should have +1,000ft range. I have never had a problem with it dropping frames, the only issue is if the laser looses power when running wireless it will automatically freeze the computer that is controlling it and cause it to crash.

-Brooks
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com