Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New lab laser coming soon- tiny and 1 watt of 450nm BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by robjdixon View Post
    No offence, but you can't advertise it as a 1W laser if putting it to 1W or anywhere near 1W voids the warranty

Rob
    well no offence taken

I am reviewing and passing the info on as best as I can-- not advertizing per se.

If I were you I would just look at this as a no-warranty item. like many other items like this are.

if you were the seller would you guarantee a long life and not set a limit to how much the diodes will tolerate?

How would one even know how high the pot had been turned up?? plz remember these have only been available for less than a year at these prices-- you could have gotten one from Nichia long ago -- but at what price...???

it is what it is-- dont shoot the messenger-- Im not a rocket surgeon

The module portion looks like one of the 50mw green modules that Aixiz sells... which gives me an idea...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    The module portion looks like one of the 50mw green modules that Aixiz sells... which gives me an idea...
    I got one of those right here and cant seem to get the guts out. I think Dream Beamz did something with one of those heads and a 445. I think they are big dipper lasers.

Yea, I think they are Big Dipper units, too. I haven't taken one fully apart but I think there is a set screw or maybe more on the bottom that holds the insides in.

Look for an allen grub on the bottom of the head.. there are some tapped mounting holes there and a centrally drilled set screw.. If you loosen this, the guts should fall right out. There is likely to be some thermal compound that can make it stick though, so elbow grease may be necessary.

EDIT: Gary beat me to it..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Yea, I think they are Big Dipper units, too. I haven't taken one fully apart but I think there is a set screw or maybe more on the bottom that holds the insides in.
    I see says the blind man!!!

They're fun little heads.. I've boosted a few of mine by installing high-quality 1W pump diodes run at ~750-800mW. Easiest diode swap imaginable.. I get around 130-150mW of green but a solid baseplate or heatsink is necessary. Better yet you can mount the thing on a TEC. That and a flexmod make for sweet little combo!

a 445 WILL die at 2 Amps -- been there 3 times

HMike

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    a 445 WILL die at 2 Amps -- been there 3 times

HMike
    Um... Mike. Might want to stop around 1.5A next time.

I've had one on a lifetime test since a few days after I first heard about these around June 1st.. it ran for about 4 hours at 500mA, then for a week @1A once I started realizing what they were capable of and then I pushed it to 1.3A giving me ~1.2W of output and has been running there ever since. 24 hours a day. It's still producing exactly what it was when I first set it at 1.3A. That should be about 2100 hours give or take a bit. I figure why speculate on a safe setting when I could see how long a diode lives at what I think will be a safe current? I just wish I had a few more diodes to spare so I could run a few simultaneously, but I think 1.1-1.3A is likely a sweet spot as far as current goes given their tendency to die at 2A. Maybe 1.5-1.7A if you want to be brave..