Thread: 445nm Laser case and cooling

Default 445nm Laser case and cooling

Hi guys;
    I have a 445nm diode laser that I just finished tonight and I seem to be having a power and cooling problem. I bought the case pictured below that was for 445nm diodes. I can't seem to get to get the power @ 1.2 amp that I should. The ps unit was designed for the 445nm diodes. I also am having a dimming if run too long. I guess this case doesn't cool well enough. Also what cases are you guys using for these diodes?
    I have not run this thing very long as it is right now. Also the beam doesn't output a round beam but a oblong beam. I am using a glass lens but not the one that came with the diode. Could that be the problem ?
    Thanks
    Steve Wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 445nm diode laser.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Fotobysw View Post
    Hi guys;
    I have a 445nm diode laser that I just finished tonight and I seem to be having a power and cooling problem. I bought the case pictured below that was for 445nm diodes. I can't seem to get to get the power @ 1.2 amp that I should. The ps unit was designed for the 445nm diodes. I also am having a dimming if run too long. I guess this case doesn't cool well enough. Also what cases are you guys using for these diodes?
    I have not run this thing very long as it is right now. Also the beam doesn't output a round beam but a oblong beam. I am using a glass lens but not the one that came with the diode. Could that be the problem ?
    Thanks
    Steve Wall
    Some diodes behave differently than others and some power supplies out there dont do what they say they do. First off, if your noticing dimming thats not good. These diodes are harder to kill than a 250mw 650nm diode but can still be killed. Had it been a red diode or 405nm you would have already lost it by now.

As far as the heat issue, Perhaps it is in the way you pressed the diode in to the module, some people are failing to insert a dab of heat compound between the diode and the module

I tell everyone that buyers a diode from me to get an Aixiz module, Z-bolt heatsink, and a flexmod P3 driver along with a 5vdc 5amp power supply.

And the beam is not supposed to be round unless you have corrective optics. A glass lens wont do it for you. I still use the Aixiz glass lens because to me the extra money isnt worth the completely round beam but I am the minority on that thought.

Default 445nm

hi a case like that is no good if your going to run the diode at that sort of power
    its just going to get hot in a couple of mins, as for dimming that just shows how hot it is if its doing that
    you really need to have that diode in one of the mounts from the group buy ,and have it bolted down two a heat sink if you want to run it at 1watt,
    the beam being oblong well that what you get with these diodes ,you will need to use a prisms pair to shape the near field beam, and reduce the divergence a bit, but still when you get to 20m + it s still going to be oblong just not as big
    so my advice to you is chuck that lot away and do it properly for high power
    or keep what you have turn it down and make do with 300mw
    but either way get yourself some prisms to tame the beam a bit

btw what driver are you using to run it with ??

Intall the unit so that it can be TEC cooled....problem solved. I have a laser that will run 1230mw all day long...no issues....at 26.2 deg C. in CW mode Get a block of T-6 aly and bore a hole so that it can be "base plate mounted" and TEC it from there....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich