Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laserworld output power

Chroma only makes predictions, there's no substitute for real experience but luminosity values suggest that 1 W 445 blue will be dimmer than 100mw 532 green.

1W 445 blue = 28 lumens

0.1W 532 Green = 60 lumens

As for safety, lasers are a form of radiation and the higher the wattage the greater the irradiance.

There are international safety guidelines laid down by ILDA in the form of MPE and 10xMPE standards.

The only way to be sure you're safe is to take power meter readings based on pupil diameter exposure, convert these to mw/cm squared then compare these to the ILDA standard.

If they're above ILDA standards then you either need to expand the beam or reduce power or both until they're within safe limits.

Put in simple terms though, the lower the power the smaller the risk and the easier it is to comply with the safety standards.

This is a simpified view of it all and I suggest you look at the ILDA website in their freely available docs for Audience Scanning and the simple method.

What you were suggesting with a filter can be achieved in Pangolin Software by the use of BAM's (beam Attenuation Maps).

I'm sure others can explain it all in more depth to you or offer more practical help.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing it with 405nm purple in your calculations, 1W of 445nm will be significantly brighter than 100mw 532nm green. I don't have any sources, but I believe 1w of 445nm is roughly the same as ~300mw of green.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

445 Blue is probably the least visible of all of the 3 major colours.
    You would think that based on most of the mathematical and scientific data we see on eye sensitivity, but based on real-world experience (using my eyeballs) red is always the least visible, no matter the wavelength. Rayleigh scattering and other short wave effects seem to enhance the visibility of blue and violet lasers, at least to me.. but I've heard this from others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Are you sure that you aren't confusing it with 405nm purple in your calculations, 1W of 445nm will be significantly brighter than 100mw 532nm green. I don't have any sources, but I believe 1w of 445nm is roughly the same as ~300mw of green.
    1 W 405nm = 3.1 lumens (predicted)!

Elektro is right that real world experience is better than mathematical calulations. I haven't seen 1 w 445, but in my experience, 473 & 488 apart, blue is quite dark even in large amounts. I do agree though that most RGB projectors suffer from too little red.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Chroma only makes predictions, there's no substitute for real experience but luminosity values suggest that 1 W 445 blue will be dimmer than 100mw 532 green.
    Warms up the Chroma Bashing Hammer™...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Have to agree in the real world. I do not know about what ir should be but I just today put a 750mW 445nm Blue in a old Q-Beam beam box with a 100mW Green and the Blue is WAY brighter, I would guess about double.
    Larry