Thread: Copper is Proper !!

Default Copper is Proper !!

OK….Pics of my “ 445 Test Setup “…. The setup was put together to experiment with Cylindrical lenses and Anamorphic prism sets ( One and Two sets)….and to monitor heat sink temps. I went with a somewhat oversized Copper heatsink….58mm long by 53mm tall by 32mm wide. The heatsink has a small 12VDC computer fan/aluminum radiator fins mounted on the side of the Copper block…to pull more heat away. The driver is a DIE4Driver v 1.2. I have the new FlexModP3 that I will try in the near future. The diode is a A140 from Daguin. As measured on a Laserbee II….output is set at 1.2 mW with 1130mA input @ 6VDC to the driver.
    After over 4hr of CW….the temp levels out at 25.9C ( 78.6F)…..never higher at the current settings The temp probe is located perpendicular to the Axis 12/25 module holder...inserted into the Copper block with thermal transfer paste….directly below where the LD is positioned. The fan is only being supplied 6VDC…as is the temp unit. I would say that…for me….a little Copper….and a little fan action are all you need to keep this diode happy. Maybe for holography….more output stability is demanded in nm and mW….but for projector use….mmmm….why TE ????...KISS !!!
    The arrangement in front is for my optics experiments. I have not tried the Cylindrical lenses yet….waiting on Dr. Lava fine work…..But…in the mean time…I had to do some “ tinkering”….NOTHING as completely stunning as Simons works of Machine art…..His work is beautiful !!!!!!!....
    The next step might be to integrate the very nice diode holders from Dave @ LSP into some type of Copper slab/fan arrangement…..I am sure the works in progress from Dr. Lava and Dave/Simon will be a huge improvement over my setup….but…I wanted to do some experiments for myself….and see if TE was necessary.
    Optics wise….I have just started to experiment…more results later.
    OH…and BTW…Copper is a real PITA to do any type of machining to !!!
    Later…CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1638.JPG  

IMG_1640.JPG  

IMG_1642.JPG  

IMG_1643 c.jpg  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 09-05-2010 at 05:02.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Copper is a complete PITA. You sir are correct. However it looks like you did a nice job with it. I'm guessing that your unit weighs in at quite a hefty sum also. Either way, it is a very nice build and I thank you for sharing.

Cheers, Ian

Nice work. Love the acrylic for mounting the prisms. I might have to steal that idea.

Default A slight modification

Thanx gentlemen...I really like to tinker around.....and for now....I think school is still out on Cylindrical vs. Anamorphic.....But I am sure that much better minds than mine have likely allready found a solution.....and perhaps the solution is NOT Black and White....perhaps the answer is....it depends on distance to beam termination.....5M ?...10M ?...20M ?... NO absolute solution...
    GREAT !!....But I will experiment for myself.....and learn somethings about optics in the process !!

The acrylic top plate puts the prisms in a slight compression and holds them secure once the optimal position has been determined. The top plate is 77mm x 63mm x 5.25mm thick. I noticed that the plate will develope a slight deflection....even when the four (4) 8-32 allen head bolts are only lightly tightened !!!. To correct this...I am fabricating a thicker plate of acrylic to prevent this deformation under load. The new plate will be 12.8mm thick.

Oh...the bolts are also spring loaded....which supports the acrylic plate during the tighten down sequence. You may also notice that the top acrylic plate has an extra four (4) holes. These are there to access four (4) hold down bolts which secure the bottom spacer plates to the main platform.

A Copper heatsink with fan assist is a very simple approach....but may NOT be enough if a dual LD set up is used...so much heat in such close proximity....??? perhaps TE is the best approach in a dual set-up !!....but for a single 445nm LD.....Copper is proper !! haha !

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 09-03-2010 at 17:38. Reason: Typo
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Default Thicker acrylic hold down plate and " Terrawatt the Wonder Dog"

See pic of thicker acrylic prism hold down plate.....no delfection noted on this one !!

Terrawatt is my Wire Haired Fox Terrier.....she is with me most of the time ...and has been known to try to bite a laser beam !!!Of course she is not allowed to do this and is secured on a leash when she is in my Laser work room !! See pic of her looking very exited to be included in my "Laser adventures" !!!

Later...CDBEAM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do Not Ask.jpg  

IMG_1668 c.jpg  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 09-05-2010 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by ireedz View Post
    Copper is a complete PITA.
    Protip: use a gas torch and a bucket of water to anneal it and it cuts much more easily.

Or just waterjet it.

Smile Decent for 1 Watt (input) LEDs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holes.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	970.3 KB 
ID:	19560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	949.3 KB 
ID:	19561
    Various plumbing parts (cap, reducer) brazed together and drilled.
    Luxeon Emitter mounts nicely. I may try it for the 445.

Default Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarlow View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holes.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	970.3 KB 
ID:	19560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	949.3 KB 
ID:	19561
    Various plumbing parts (cap, reducer) brazed together and drilled.
    Luxeon Emitter mounts nicely. I may try it for the 445.
    I like what you have done, in fact I now belive copper is the way to heat sink my diodes, you guys are pretty inovative, so post more, I whant to learn out side the box thinking.
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)