Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffy - MatIlda has a younger dirtier sister.

Default Buffy - MatIlda has a younger dirtier sister.

Hello all

Due to many enquiries over impedance issues and running several lasers off one input within the projector Dan and I have come up with a slight revision of MatIlda to serve this application.
    This revision we have named Buffy, its a single MatIlda board with one set of buffers - six channels of diff buffering - 12 buffers in all, and is powered by an on board dc-dc convertor allowing Buffy to be powered from one of your 5V supplies in the projector. There are no external connectors and the holes for the Db-25s can be used as mounting holes with all connections being soldered to the pads on the pcb. We are keeping this the same price as all other versions for consistency and we will be making some over this weekend for them to appear on the MatIlda buy page (here http://danielbriggs.co.uk/laser/matilda/) on Monday.

Now to pre-empt the inevitable question about why dont we power all MatIldas off a nice n easy 5V supply - why do we use an ac supply instead - the answer is simple. MatIlda is designed to be modular and powering off a 2W dc-dc convertor would only allow one input and one output board as the upper limit - not very flexible! As MatIlda was intended to be an external device and requires a split rail supply for the op amps we thought a single ac supply was better to acheive this than 2x wall warts or having to add a more complicated internal psu which we didnt have space for.

I hope this helps people to eradicate some of them impedance blues. Long live Buffy!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buffy.jpg  

Last edited by stanwax; 09-04-2010 at 01:50.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default OMG

omg nice one,
    this was bound to come out two weeks after i bought the other one
    still though i am curious there's still no way to mount them ?
    any chance you will make a mounting plate for them ?
    is there a way to mod mine to run on 5v ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    omg nice one,
    this was bound to come out two weeks after i bought the other one
    Chris nobody is out to do you over - we had NO demand for this when you bought yours there has been a lot of interest in the last week so we have worked to sort this out.

still though i am curious there's still no way to mount them ?
    erm erm - not sure how to answer that. Oh yeah....
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    the holes for the Db-25s can be used as mounting holes with all connections being soldered to the pads on the pcb.
    any chance you will make a mounting plate for them ?
    We are planning to get some plates done as we have said all along - if enough people show interest then we will move this along.
    is there a way to mod mine to run on 5v ?
    Chris, if you mail yours back to me I will exchange it with Buffy.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

rob, so am i correct in saying the only different between the two buffers is ones external the other is internal?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thats right con boy
    MatIlda - external multi projector buffer
    Buffy - internal projector buffering device

Rob

cool cheers cock

sad i know but im still laughing from your tx yesterday
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Nice work, Rob. I've always thought that standardizing the input impedance on projectors would be very important. It's a project I wanted to persue before I closed the store, just didn't have the time. It would have been an Active Breakout Board. I'm just curious, what is the 6th diff channel being buffered? Is it violet? How about buffering of the shutter line?

Anyway, nice work, I strongly recommend that everyone have an active buffer in their projectors.

David
    the 6th channel can be whatever you want it to be - in the original MatIlda the buffers are wired to XYZ RGB but in this config it will work with whatever.

Rob

Buffy is now in stock
    Order page: http://www.danielbriggs.co.uk/laser/matilda/

Cheers,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Could you post board dimensions? I want to check how well it will fit into my projector.