Thread: URGENT - Projection Screen for SELEM 2011 - Feedback Please!!!

Default URGENT - Projection Screen for SELEM 2011 - Feedback Please!!!

I'm looking for feedback regarding use of a front projection screen for SELEM next year, specifically what SIZE and what TYPE would the group prefer, as listed below.

For anyone that is interested, Joann Fabrics has their blackout (drapery liner) material on sale for Labor Day (until weekend of 9/11/10). As I understand it, this is a popular choice for home theatre folks for projection screens. It looks like it would make a nice portable screen for indoor laser shows as well.

I am ordering some of this material (54" x ?# of yards), in pursuit of having a screen stitched together to hang between the scaffords next year at SELEM. I'd be interested in placing my 2W RGB in the balcony to allow for this, or we hang this at the back of the auditorium as an alternative?

Blackout Type I - thin, light material that will allow for images to be seen from the rear as well.
    Blackout Type II - heavier material that does not pass any light (green laser pointer direct on material was not visible from the other side).

It's on sale at $3.00 a yard. I will get this stitched together once the size and type are determined, but I need to confirm this in the next couple of days. I may opt for the lighter material, in support of front/rear option and also being lighter to hang.

I'm being told this material goes on sale 1-2 times a year, so I'm wanting to get this purchased now.

12' x 12'? Bigger? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Displaser; 09-05-2010 at 14:30.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I like type II no light passes, if pj from balcony keeps beams out of the "work control" area.

12x12 would be nice I use a 4x8 for theater and an 8x8 for laser screen.
    leading in trailing technology

I purchased some and made a 10' x 10' screen it works great. The only problem is you do not want to leave a beam on the screen. I have 3/4 watt RGB and if you have a full power dot the next thing you know is you have a nice fire!!!

So I would say not really a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ljk View Post
    I purchased some and made a 10' x 10' screen it works great. The only problem is you do not want to leave a beam on the screen. I have 3/4 watt RGB and if you have a full power dot the next thing you know is you have a nice fire!!!

So I would say not really a great choice.
    weird the stuff i use passes flame test as it needs to be being curtain backing.
    leading in trailing technology

Looks like I'm going to plan on a 10' x 10' screen or close to it, as this will be the largest screen I can hang on a wall in the interim.

A flame test is a good idea and I will confirm this prior to purchasing a large quantity. I don't plan on anyone doing beam shows on this though and would like to use this for only graphics or lumia effects.

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Smile

Sorry I'm so late coming to this thread. With everything that's been going on lately (SELEM, The superfund site work, and the ILDA cruise, to name just a few), I've got quite the backlog of messages and threads to work through!

I think a 10 ft square screen would work fine. If you sew pockets into the top and bottom, I can use my existing stands to support it (they go to 12 ft).

Remember that next year we'll have the main curtains closed, so there's no risk of beams getting into the "work area" on the rear portion of the stage. (We'll have to move the scaffolding forward a bit to accomplish this, but that's not a problem.)

Adam

Smile Suggestion??

Ok, I wrote this last night right before the server move, and I was SO much more eloquent then it was all lost.....lol

Ok, my suggestion is that why don't we use the classrooms or a smaller area within the main venue for the smaller displays and lumia demonstrations? These can run simultaneously or as a scheduled event(s)? It is a pretty big place, so my thinking is that there will be enough room for this type of demonstration, leaving the largest venue for the big shows.

Also, Buffo-Please let me know if I can help you out in any way for next years event. I have experience booking large groups and venues, with and without meal plans, transportation, lodging and meeting rooms. I am a travel agent, so let me kow if you need help in the planning, organizing and implementation. I am happy to help you out.

You can IM me on Yahoo Messenger at kody66@sbcglobal.net or simply communicate with me via PL. Since I am more spectator than anything else, I am free to help you keep things in check while you are free to participate in the different shows and functions.

Let me know, thanks!

Smile

Thanks for the offer to assist, Laserchik! I'll get in touch with you when we get closer to next year's event so we can discuss things. Also, sorry for the late reply, but I've been out of town without Internet access.

I like the idea of using the upstairs rooms for more things; I'll have to see how much they want to charge us though. This year we got the one room as a freebie, probably just to tease us! But next year they will be charging for the extra facilities. Still, I think it's a good idea to have some stuff going on up there. I'll start thinking about ways to use those rooms effectively.

Adam

Probably need to cover the windows upstairs to block out light....

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

@Buffo - No problem! we all have lives outside of lasers, right? LOL

Maybe you can check and see if they will give you a break on cost if we rent more than one classroom? Also, as another suggestion, you could use the meeting room at the hotel for the "extras" too, during the day, as the hotel may be providing this to you free due to all the rooms you book for the meeting. this could maybe save you some $$.

Local restaurants may also give you breaks for lunch/dinners, whether delivered or at the location, based on a large order. Sometimes you just have to negotiate with them. Maybe even ask them to "sponsor" a classroom at the venue? You never know unless you ask....remember, this is a yearly meeting that brings revenue to the area. Yes, granted it isn't 1000 people....but the small towns need all they can get. They may help you out.

As I recall, you have lumia displays, smaller shows, sellers, buyers...all of which can use the smaller classrooms/spaces.

Blackout curtains/fabric can be used for the windows. You just have to make sure the venue doesn't have restrictions on using tacks, pins, tape, etc...on the walls.

This is just a start-I look forward to chatting about the details with you and see what we can work out.

Thanks!