Thread: Mounting plate?

Default Mounting plate?

Hi,

I'm all set to start laying everything out for my scanner and the website I was going to order the 1/2" aluminum plate from is having problems. They were the only supplier I found online that would let me go 16"x16". Maybe I just found all the odd sites but everyone else wanted to go in multiples of 12".

Where are you guys getting the aluminum? Online? Locally? I did have one machinist that wanted $100 for a 16" square of 3/8" and I'm not doing that.

Any thoughts or is it just one of those things where you get it where you get it and there are no real deals?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Hi,

I'm all set to start laying everything out for my scanner and the website I was going to order the 1/2" aluminum plate from is having problems. They were the only supplier I found online that would let me go 16"x16". Maybe I just found all the odd sites but everyone else wanted to go in multiples of 12".

Where are you guys getting the aluminum? Online? Locally? I did have one machinist that wanted $100 for a 16" square of 3/8" and I'm not doing that.

Any thoughts or is it just one of those things where you get it where you get it and there are no real deals?
    Howie,

I think there is some value in buying from a machinist as he is probably machining the plate to size instead of shearing it like a supplier probably would. $100 seems fair to me and it will help you build a relationship with a valuable resource.

Jim

If you are near Ann Arbor, we have a great store called Alro Metals that supplies this sort of thing. where in Michigan are you?

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mgould View Post
    If you are near Ann Arbor, we have a great store called Alro Metals that supplies this sort of thing. where in Michigan are you?

...Mike
    For a moment there I thought you were across the street from where I work but thats Allor. Close though. I'm in Brighton so that isn't too far off. I'll have to look you all up.

Thanks.

Online metals has 16"x16"x.5 for $143.

.375" thickness is probably good enough. That's still a very solid piece of metal.

Mike