Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss retinal burn

Default Retinal Burn

<<<shudders>>> eeeeeyeck.....scary.

@mixed gas-theft is theft, but that is really between the thief and the karma that results.....if you never knew, and don't miss it, then you have sound karma.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Ouucchhhhhhh! Imagine if that was with one of the super 445nm pointers
    According to this it was "just" 150mw:

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/new...x?docID=642932

Quote Originally Posted by displaserschik View Post
    <<<shudders>>> eeeeeyeck.....scary.

@mixed gas-theft is theft, but that is really between the thief and the karma that results.....if you never knew, and don't miss it, then you have sound karma.

Not very perceptive but nonetheless sound karma.
    I think I would like to know even if I hadn't noticed at the least to be able to put the data which will be generated by these new retinal imaging systems into perspective. At this moment everyone is assuming (falsely IMHO) that scarring inevitable means noticeable loss of sight. Nature can easily cause this without recurring to laser pointers. My worry is that this diagnostic technique turns in to a legal scam for claiming laser damage when it is NOT really the case!

There are many examples of "H&S" causing more problems than the ones it was originally designed to avoid! It is noticeable that as the Gov assumes more H&S responsibility the general public assumes less. Result is a general public which is now "assumed" to be bordering on moronic. (Despite the general public having a "supposedly" sound karma).

Cheers

Red face HEY!!

Give me a break-I am operating on verrrry little sleep.......

Default WTF

ONly 150mw, but i wonder how much 808 leakage?
    And on another note, Wat kind of parents, are allowing a 15 yr old, to make a purchase for a laser, on the internet ( obviously the kid used a credt card for purchase?!)
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

That's what I was thinking. The damn pointer probably unleashes 200-300mW of IR on top of that. But hey, It cuts electrical tape and retinal tissue!

The average age on LPF is around 17. I'd guess the average power of their lasers is easily 150mW green, without IR. There's going to be some serious damage done with handheld lasers over 500mW. The slippery slope the balloon poppers have been on for the past 15 years just got a whole lot steeper!

Laser pointers are squirt guns. Class IIIb lasers are hoses. These Casio 445nm-based lasers are fire hoses.

Default The Parents

The parents probably thought it was nothing more than a toy the kid wanted. The public at large don't realize the possible dangers that lasers are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchik View Post
    The parents probably thought it was nothing more than a toy the kid wanted. The public at large don't realize the possible dangers that lasers are capable of.
    ya all those warning stickers are there just for fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    My worry is that this diagnostic technique turns in to a legal scam for claiming laser damage when it is NOT really the case!
    I actually think it might work in our favour.

One thing we do know is that many European clubs are running levels many thousands of times the ILDA limit and yet despite retinal imaging, there's no real evidence of damage.

This seams to suggets 2 things:

1. there's a lot of safety margin in the standards

2. Retinal imaging may well be a good way of proving that lasers weren't responsible when someone in a crowd at a safe level show claims eye problems. Its not long since I read a complaint, either on here or some of other forums, put up by a mobile DJ who had an elderly woman at a wedding trying to sue him claiming that his lasers had damaged her eyes through their brightness.I don't think it was ever proved but it shows how far some people will go to claim and it shows how useful a retinal scan may be in rebutting that.

The only way it falls down as a defence is when there is a burn either through someone else's fault eg a pointer or where the subject has damaged their own eyes by eg looking at the sun (I'm assuming here the 2 types of burn are the same but don't claim to be a medical expert).