Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swiss retinal burn

Default Parents

@flecom - true that! But some parents just don't pay attention.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    .... if someone stole money from me and I never, ever noticed, does it MATTER to me? .....
    Interesting mindset.
    You don't work in a Nursing home do you?

Yes... yes I do..

except not really..

For all you know someone could have stolen something from you that you'll never miss or notice...

think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Yes... yes I do..

For all you know someone could have stolen something from you that you'll never miss or notice...
    think about it!
    I really do hope so, any sign of me having a "benevolent karma" sounds great to me !

Pick an apple mate I am sure the tree won't mind !

Cheers

If the apple tree minds that I picked some apples, then me and my absolute lust for good apple pie are in SERIOUS trouble..

I think posting photos like this is an excellent way to remind people to be careful.

Ref 15 year olds and lasers, I built my first CO2 at about that age, did the glass blowing, built the power supply (NST (A BIG one)), machined the mirror mounts (With the full support of the schools head of physics).

It made 30W or so at 10.6um with flowing He/CO2 gas (I think there was a quench gas of some sort in there as well).

Now I will grant that 10.6um is about the worlds easiest thing to block, but the energy density and fire starting capacity is still somewhat frightening and as for the rather large high voltage supply...

15 year olds will do dangerous and stupid things, and will sometimes take damage in the doing (We will gloss over my attempt at an RF pumped mercury vapour laser using a microwave oven as the pump cavity, and the resulting burns (And boiling mercury) when the plasma tube couldn't take the wall loading, oops).

The pointer problem is less kids injuring themselves (15 is a dangerous sort of age anyway) as it is the risk to others (And in this the poor beam quality of the 445 diodes should help a bit).

Regards, Dan.

Hi

Here's a link to the full article. Makes for much more interesting reading

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1005818

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    Ref 15 year olds and lasers, I built my first CO2 at about that age, did the glass blowing, built the power supply (NST (A BIG one)), machined the mirror mounts (With the full support of the schools head of physics).

It made 30W or so at 10.6um with flowing He/CO2 gas (I think there was a quench gas of some sort in there as well).

Now I will grant that 10.6um is about the worlds easiest thing to block, but the energy density and fire starting capacity is still somewhat frightening and as for the rather large high voltage supply...

15 year olds will do dangerous and stupid things, and will sometimes take damage in the doing (We will gloss over my attempt at an RF pumped mercury vapour laser using a microwave oven as the pump cavity, and the resulting burns (And boiling mercury) when the plasma tube couldn't take the wall loading, oops).

The pointer problem is less kids injuring themselves (15 is a dangerous sort of age anyway) as it is the risk to others (And in this the poor beam quality of the 445 diodes should help a bit).

Regards, Dan.
    that pretty hardcore... i "built" my first laser when I was around 13~14 also... it was a hard-seal HeNe tube... but I built the PSU, gave myself a few good shocks with it lol

then I got some radioshack motors and some mirrors I broke off some of my mom's makup stuff and made a spiro projector... with said hene

thats how this giant down-hill slope started for me lol

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi

Here's a link to the full article. Makes for much more interesting reading

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1005818

Jem
    Thanks JEM, cced to Laser Pointer Forum
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...