Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ham radio operators on PL?

Default Any ham radio operators on PL?

Just wanted to share this sweet little dual-band handheld I found on dealextreme.com:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.41618

You won't find a feature set like that at anywhere near that price anywhere else. the reviews are excellent, build quality seems very nice.. I just ordered one today, will know more when it arrives but they look to be pretty awesome.. plus they're unlocked which is cool, but might not be legal in all countries.

Haha, There is a Ham Radio Outlet store near my house, and I drove by the other day, and my girlfriend asked me "Who uses Ham Radios anyways" and I replied "Probably the same people that post on that laser message board I post on".
    - instinct

its technically illegal since it works out of band... <144mhz >148mhz <420mhz >450mhz

but it looks pretty decent... looks like a copy of a yeasu

KI4IJQ here

I use all commercial radios tho so I can talk on P25 digital voice

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

http://tg-uv2.blogspot.com/

Nice if it works as advertised.

That number works out to .18 uV RX sens, but I wonder how it handles intermod.

No crossband, no DTMF.

No dtmf can make some of the repeaters around here kind of useless, including the statewide system.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

KB3TWI here, though I usually only use it for road trips and volunteer work.

350 to 390 MHz
    400 to 470 MHz
    yikes 350-420 is almost all military and three letter agencies lol

I can buy it to listen to Hydra EDACS system control channel when aircraft carries come to the port lol

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    http://tg-uv2.blogspot.com/

Nice if it works as advertised.

That number works out to .18 uV RX sens, but I wonder how it handles intermod.

No crossband, no DTMF.

No dtmf can make some of the repeaters around here kind of useless, including the statewide system.

Steve
    yeah, the no DTMF thing is the worst thing about these that I can tell.. but the most oft-used repeaters here around STL don't require them so i don't think it'll be too much of an issue... for me anyway. I just couldn't pass it up for under $100 shipped. I still have a little 50W dual-band amp packed away somewhere..
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 10-10-2010 at 09:46.

I own some 2-meter stuff but never got around to taking the test for my license. The new/old house I'm moving into has some big old tube powered ham radio in the basement. The thing doesn't look like it's been plugged in in 50 years. I'll have to take a pic.

Well, it's just a SW reciever but still kinda cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammarlund_Super_Pro

Looks like it's been sitting in the same place for a LOOONG time but I may decide to rebuild it one day. There sure is tons of info and schematics out there.

Wow, that's seriously old school! It would be awesome to see those dials and filaments light up again. I've always liked tube gear, especially really well-restored antiques.