Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other Addicting Hobbies: Drag Racing! with Steve Roberts...

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    What sort of power output are we talking about for the top fuelers, around the 2000Bhp mark?
    Try approaching 9000BHP.... It takes 1000HP just to run the supercharger and 450HP to run the fuel pump.

As an example... This will show you how much fuel is used by ONE CYLINDER during a run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQ...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

What, no pics of Crew Chief Lady? I'm very dissatisfied if there are NO pics of CCL?
    Oh, you mean Alice Bode, Bob Bode's wife AKA "Drag Racer Barbie"

How about John Force's daughter.... Shwing!

Here's a pic of Connie Kalitta to calm you guys down... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Kalitta

Last edited by 300EVIL; 09-16-2010 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    I missed my yearly dose of nitro fumes this year. Kinda brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

I worked on several drag cars in my past. A pic of a Super Comp car I worked on. I hand built everything from the windshield forward. 67 Cougar with a injected methanol 427 side oiler.

Attachment 19475

Gene
    NICE!

I miss my Super Comp days...

And Super Street...

Sponsoring a TFD is cool though!!

My next move, when I can afford it will be Top Alcohol Dragster.

Smile

Great pics Adam! Would love to see that in person one day. The sound is supposed to be incredible. (Though admittedly, so is the sound of an SR-71 taking off on full afterburner, something else that I always wanted to experience but never did...)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Probably not. But, I've been behind the throttles of a Nuclear Powered ship. They don't exactly move fast but there's nothing quite like throwing it in full reverse from a flank bell and creating your own personal earthquake. Buffo, did those subs shake and rattle from flank to back full? Or were you guys even allowed to make that much noise?
    Hi Gary;

Sorry for being so late getting to this thread. Still playing catch-up.

While on patrol we almost never went above a standard bell, and most of the time we were at ahead 2/3 or slower. (We hide with pride, remember?) We never answered any backing bells while on patrol, and I can only think of one time when we answered a full bell while we were alert. (And that was only for a few minutes.)

Though once during sea-trials right after a refit we did answer a back emergency from a flank bell. That was some serious shit! The boat made some awful sounds, and the prop cavitated like mad despite the fact that we were at a considerable depth. (Deep enough that I didn't think cavitation was possible!)

The main engines were visibly shaking in their mounts! (Remember, everything on a boat is sound-isolated, so things can move a bit...) Was a mighty impressive drill, but I wouldn't want to do it again. The planesman was a little slow figuring out that the fairwater planes work in reverse when you're answering a backing bell, plus we were a bit heavy to start with. (Damn chief of the watch didn't trim the boat very well before we started.)

Pulled a pretty serious down-angle before they got their shit together, and with all the noise and shaking, I was ready for it to stop long before it did. (Though in fairness, with the screw pointed towards the surface it was holding us on depth and would have pulled us up if needed. It was just the big down-angle at serious depth that was so disconcerting.)

Can't remember what reactor power peaked at during the maneuver, but for sure it was way the hell up there. Our reverse turbine was nothing more than a pair of curtis wheels (impulse blading only), so we could dump a shitload of steam through them. (Much more than with an ahead bell, because of all the reactive blading at the rear of the ahead turbine.) Plus we had to be running 2F-2F to start with, so the SSTG's were running close to full-load too.

Had a mother of a crud burst shortly thereafter. I remember, because I pulled the sample, and the DGA was hot as hell. (Even the recirc line was hot!) Not sure if it was from shifting to fast speed MCP's before the event or if it was just the vibration through the hull from such a violent maneuver, but it sure got my attention! Still, activity came right back down when I pulled the midnight primary later that night, so all was good. (Probably all got caught up in the resin!)

And yeah, you probably could have heard us in the water for 30 miles or more when we did that. It was a hell of a sound.

Adam

Damn,

That sounds scary just reading about it..

MAN!!! This is freakin weird... I was just surfing around youtube last night and found this video that someone posted of Adam and Steve back stage...dang....those guys ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unyCs0aQFbw
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.