Thread: Transient spike protection?

Default Transient spike protection?

This may be of trivial concern,but........does anyone use a surge protection device for line voltage on your DPSS laser drivers? It would seem that the spike from refridgerators and the like in a home would be damaging. The "power strips" just don't have the filtering , to me , to be safe for use in this type of environment. Any suggestions welcome as concern is the utmost care for my toys. Proper feeding a must. :?:
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Hi MechEng3..

I mostly use a regulated linear supply to supply any of my boards..
    I take advantage of the filtering and regulation..

As far as my other lasers go...most of them have switcher supplies..
    they are generally immune to large voltage spikes if they are good ones..
    God knows how many times I've plugged and unplugged them while on..
    I have yet to have a problem...

However, static or ESD "IS" or "was" a major problem here...
    I have to discharge myself by touching sometime metal and preferably
    grounded before I start to work on something thats sensitive to this...
    In the past I have blown way too many devices that way...
    Grounding everything and having a ESD table and floor mats have pretty much ended those problems...

I also use a 3kw UPS supply to buffer the AC to the bench and computer stations..

Good luck there...

*^_^*
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Hello,
    I use a Furman Power Conditioners to control any spikes, and ground loops on my 110vac lines. At work, we have the dirtiest power in all the land, it actually has overdriven my galvos before, due to a ground loop problem. The same loop also effects our sound system, you can hear a low 60Hz hum/buzzing in the system. If you think the power is shady, then it most likey is, and it can/will distroy your equipment. Another problem I have had at the club is the voltage. We have 208 running through, and it should be at about 220-240vac. The laser does not like this very much, and a 10kva buck-boost transformer solved that issue. Good power is very important.
    Peace,
    Jay

Thanks for the great advice. I will implement a new unit and will remove fear factor from reality. A/C power levels spike on an O-scope, so it can't be good for any diode driver. We have a new high voltage system that has been installed nearby and is undergoing switching over to new sections that are completed. So much for the widening of the road in my area. All new system and cable delivery. Not so reliable . I think the Furman unit is a good choice for me. Thanks again! :idea:
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich