Thread: KAM Laser 40 FScan problems!

Default KAM Laser 40 FScan problems!

Hi guys,

I bought two KAM Laser 40 Fscan's from Maplins including this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46502

I tried setting it up exactly how the manual stated but for the love of god I cannot get any signal to them. The DMX controller works when you use the test, but I'm struggling to set it up.

I've installed the software on my laptop, set the pins in the correct positions for master/slave, plugged in the DMX cables to the right output -> input but they still do not receive any signal..

There is absolutely no advice online I've been researching for hours, you lot seem to know what you're doing so can anyone help pretty please?!

P.S. the random question "Laser is an acronym; Specify one of the constiuent words" must scare off a few members!! ;-)

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

Get your money back and buy a proper DMX desk (I happen to be flogging a couple cheap )

I bought one of these from Maplins many years ago but never got round to actually testing it until a few months later.
    Totally useless and as I'd lost the receipt then it wasn't worth worrying about.
    In the great scheme of all things laser related, Sixty quid is a mere drop in the vast financial ocean that you have plunged into.

p.s. If you don't know any of the words that make up the acronym "LASER" then you are probably on the wrong site anyway ........

p.p.s. I'd delete your duplicated posts in the other (incorrect) threads if I were you to keep things spick and span.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    p.s. If you don't know any of the words that make up the acronym "LASER" then you are probably on the wrong site anyway ........
    Hey, thanks for your advice, do you have a webshop? drop it to me in a pm or email me on james.dettmer [ at ] sxcweb dot com and I'll take a look

Thanks

Those USB dmx controllers are great I have one and it works a treat - try downloading freestyler - massive overkill but it will talk to the Velleman usb/dmx box. I take it up to now you have tried the supplied software - if so never mind, if not dont bother!
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jdettmer View Post
    Hey, thanks for your advice, do you have a webshop?
    Nope.
    I started out (like your good self I assume) a few years ago thinking that buying cheap would get me to where I wanted to be.
    Started off with the home built USB jobbies, progressed onto DMX desks and then bit the bullet and now own top of the range Pangolin Professional gear.

Most of the foks on here will advise you to buy the best you can afford cus "Buy cheap, buy twice" is very much the rule when it comes to laser gear.

I've been thinking about getting rid of some of my lower end gear (DMX Desks, cables, even projectors) for a while now so you should hang around the forum and see what other folks are offering for sale too.

Default Try the wires

Your DMX is probably not talking due to the wiring. There are two ways lighting manufacturers wire up the XLR for DMX. KAM use the US way. which is pin 3 live + (red) pin 2 Neutral - (black) and Pin 1 Ground (screen).. The UK way (most used and standard) is Pin is pin 2 live + (red) pin 3 Neutral - (black) and Pin 1 Ground (screen)

Solution..Make a cross over cable with the end of the cable that plugs in to the Laser has the wires swapped pins 2 and 3 ie 2 live 3 neutral.

Worked for me. I actually opened the Laser and rewired inside so a did have to keep taking cross over cable with me. Do both in and out otherwise the output will be swapped. ## Or If you are only using KAM kit swap the pins over on the Controller.

I use the Maplin controller with Freestyler works first time every time. The test button sends live to both pins so this is why your Laser talks when you push test.

Hope this helps...and KAM if you read this...sort you manuals out to say about the XLR pin outs like other manufacturers do.

Quote Originally Posted by jdettmer View Post
    Hi guys,

I bought two KAM Laser 40 Fscan's from Maplins including this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46502

I tried setting it up exactly how the manual stated but for the love of god I cannot get any signal to them. The DMX controller works when you use the test, but I'm struggling to set it up.

I've installed the software on my laptop, set the pins in the correct positions for master/slave, plugged in the DMX cables to the right output -> input but they still do not receive any signal..

There is absolutely no advice online I've been researching for hours, you lot seem to know what you're doing so can anyone help pretty please?!

P.S. the random question "Laser is an acronym; Specify one of the constiuent words" must scare off a few members!! ;-)

The UK way (most used and standard) is Pin is pin 2 live + (red) pin 3 Neutral - (black) and Pin 1 Ground (screen)
    Nope, that's incorrect - although DMX is actually a 5-pin standard, the wiring standard is pin 1 - ground / return, pin 2 - data -ve, (inverted), pin 3 data +ve (non-inverted), pins 4 and 5 not used. When this is translated to a 3-pin connector, (although 3-pin connectors aren't compliant with the DMX standard, they are widely used on low-end kit to save costs), the pin assignments remain the same. This is used by the vast majority of manufacturers worldwide, the only exceptions that immediately come to mind are some early Martin devices, and Soundlab 4-channel dimmers, that have pins 2 and 3 reversed.

Although probably a pointless exercise given the age of the original post in the thread, I think the issue was that he was setting them up for master/slave operation and then trying to get them to respond to external DMX input.

Its usually one or the other.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Sometimes you just have to...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	something's wrong.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	24935

Sometimes...

I thought it was always! And someone beats you up if you don't do it!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.