Thread: WTT: IGBTs (Largest ever made) or SCRs for Lasers

Default WTT: IGBTs (Largest ever made) or SCRs for Lasers

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with electronics for about 10 years now, and havent done much with lasers, mainly due to the cost. So I thought I might see if someone would be interested in trading for some expensive silicon.

I have a bunch of these igbts:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igbts.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	482.7 KB 
ID:	19414
    The big ones on the left are single igbts 2500V, 1200A rms (2500A peak) The one on the right is 2500V 400rms 8 or 1200A peak. I have a few more of those, just not shown.

Name:	scrs.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	563.6 KB 
ID:	19413
    I also have a bunch of pucks. Cant remember the exact specs though. I know they're good for atleast 8000A peak though.

So let me know if you're interested, and what you'd be willing to trade.

DAMN!! Very Nice! Yeah I need some of those. I got a flashlamp pumped Nd:YAG on simmer I need to switch and maybe a massive SSTC project in the future. What are you looking for in trade?

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    DAMN!! Very Nice! Yeah I need some of those. I got a flashlamp pumped Nd:YAG on simmer I need to switch and maybe a massive SSTC project in the future.
    These bricks would make a nearly indestructible driver for a TC. They are relatively slow, so a big coil would be needed.

Name:	Me_with_coil.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	19416
    I'm upgrading my OLTC to the modern DRSSTC. Should be good for 15' arcs.

What are you looking for in trade?
    Hmm... how about that laser in your sig?

Not really sure. I've always wanted to build an RGB projector. I'm interested in anything high power too.

I'll consider any reasonable offers, but it'd have to be worth a few hundred atleast. These bricks are originally $2-3k each new . Even on ebay they go for at least $500.

Quote Originally Posted by jrz126 View Post
    These bricks would make a nearly indestructible driver for a TC. They are relatively slow, so a big coil would be needed.

Name:	Me_with_coil.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	19416
    I'm upgrading my OLTC to the modern DRSSTC. Should be good for 15' arcs.

Hmm... how about that laser in your sig?

Not really sure. I've always wanted to build an RGB projector. I'm interested in anything high power too.

I'll consider any reasonable offers, but it'd have to be worth a few hundred atleast. These bricks are originally $2-3k each new . Even on ebay they go for at least $500.
    Hmmm,,, I 'll have to look around and see what I got. I don't need them right now but I know I will eventually. Can you provide PN's? Oh, any interest in 2.2-3.6VDC adjustable @ 320A Vicor power supplies? I have some brand new in box. They are GREAT for powering BIG laser diodes.

Out of curiosity, what is the thing with the heatsink and the two HV insulators?

Thumbs up on your primary, That's very nice. What's with the speaker ball? That thing work good? Where are you located?
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 09-10-2010 at 19:10.

Hmmm,,, I 'll have to look around and see what I got. I don't need them right now but I know I will eventually. Can you provide PN's? Oh, any interest in 2.2-3.6VDC adjustable @ 320A Vicor power supplies? I have some brand new in box. They are GREAT for powering BIG laser diodes.

Out of curiosity, what is the thing with the heatsink and the two HV insulators?

Thumbs up on your primary, That's very nice. What's with the speaker ball? That thing work good? Where are you located?
    Here's the datasheet: http://www.hitachi.co.jp/products/po...BN1200E25C.pdf

Not really interested in the supply. I have a 5V 300A.

The thing with the heatsink and the two HV insulators is for measuring HV. 1200Vin = 5 Vout or something like that.

I'm in NW PA. I had a bunch of PC speakers so I just built a ball for them. It worked pretty good, but the sound quality wasn't that great.
    I was only able to get 42-48" sparks from the coil. Which is about typical for the offline topology. Theres only so much time to transfer energy from the primary to the secondary, if you transfer too much, you'll get racing arcs down the side of the coil.
    The dual resonant coil is way better. people running igbts capable of 1/4 the power of these bricks were able to hit 12 feet.