Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 445nm split and recombine beam?

[QUOTE=Phredy1;163045]Most of my concern was trying to get the beam small enough to not spill off the scanner mirrors.Rather than look at all the pictures people post with a ruler measuring a big long blue spot on the wall, I should just get my butt in gear and start building and see what happens.
    I guess bottom line of this thread is either live with a big beam or the pinhole trick.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.Gene[/QUOTE

NOT ALWAYS TRUE MATE !

Double the size of your scanner mirrors and watch what happens to your great show.

No disrespect, but I bet you Marc is using CT scanners or similar with loads of leaway speed-wise. I think he can look at things this way since he is in a privileged situation with not enough competition snapping at his heels to make him HAVE to worry about these little details.

If you are stuck with LW scanners or worse, and you are a bit tight on available power then beam size is a VERY BIG issue. Although as he correctly points out it is all a bit relative and at the moment RED is more of a problem than Blue.

We all have different criteria depending on our situation and these discussions enable lots of different people to adapt their gear to their own particular circumstances.

If you reduce (eg.with just a lens), without complicating things a bit early on, the other end of the beam turns into a searchlight.

A pinhole in front of the scanners won't help your long distance projection much UNLESS you have all the previous beam correction pretty well sorted, so IMHO just let the beam spill over the scanners and dream about slightly better scanners with slightly bigger mirrors.

I am fairly sure that most of you are not in a position to exchange your scanner mirrors for larger ones, let alone just upping the laser power to 2w anytime you want to waste half so as to be able to keep your smaller faster scanner mirrors.

Keep trying everything ... don't give up even..... if you get laughed at..... that's how we all progress.!

Cheers

why not put larger scanner mirrors?

most people here are running their scanners slower than advertised (DT40's @ 30kpps for example)

I am sure they could cope with significantly larger mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    why not put larger scanner mirrors?

most people here are running their scanners slower than advertised (DT40's @ 30kpps for example)

I am sure they could cope with significantly larger mirrors
    First problem is where to get the mirrors!
    Second problem is how to fix them on so that they are well balanced and don't fall off!
    Third problem is how to adjust the amps correctly afterwards (especially without data)!
    Fourth problem is the scanner mounts often don't allow it! (mirrors hit each other.)
    Fifth problem is cost!

Apart from all that it's a breeze!

Cheers

Wink Because it is there!

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    ok-

i love all you guys and please, for the love of god, sit back and *REALLY* think about what im about ot say...

Love y'all.....

-Marc

It is like Everest man... that big ass blue beam is sitting there asking to be tamed down to the size and divergence of a LOC red... We just got to figure out how to do it... so we can say we did it. ( I said "we", y'all need to hurry up)

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

It is like Everest man... that big ass blue beam is sitting there asking to be tamed down to the size and divergence of a LOC red... We just got to figure out how to do it... so we can say we did it. ( I said "we", y'all need to hurry up)
    Dead right mate .......I definitely need to hurry up I still haven't got any LOCs to tame yet!

Blue is coming along OK though and I might just try the "flexible" mirror thing once I have received the docs lenses and have something to compare to.

Why don't you get ADMIN to include your more spectacular smileys in our menus ?

Good eye,explohshun, etc.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    First problem is where to get the mirrors!
    Second problem is how to fix them on so that they are well balanced and don't fall off!
    Third problem is how to adjust the amps correctly afterwards (especially without data)!
    Fourth problem is the scanner mounts often don't allow it! (mirrors hit each other.)
    Fifth problem is cost!

Apart from all that it's a breeze!

Cheers
    call up one stop laser shop, they sell galvo mirrors...

how can you not have a datasheet for your galvo amps?

make new and/or different mounts?

all of these things would be easier/cheaper than trying to get the 445 down to a tiny size

and anyway a pair of LOC's would only be 500mW so taming a 1+w beam with optics is pointless...

USE A PINHOLE

Default Re-Combining

Greetings from Germany

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Saarlaser View Post
    Greetings from Germany

I think we decided somewhere that you can lose the mirror from that set up and just go directly to the waveplate; I thought it was a PBS not a dichro though.

I think it would be best to stack 4 of them and use a telescope; especially after seeing Andy's latest work.

Quote Originally Posted by Saarlaser View Post
    Greetings from Germany

That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind at first. I am guessing you would need a PBS and not a dichro though....?

Gene

Couldn't you also do it this way and remove the need for the waveplate

Basically split and stack using four HR mirrors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	19666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	19665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	19664

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	19667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	19669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser stack6.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	19668

Last edited by loopee; 09-18-2010 at 23:51.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build