Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Learnt something today about red diodes

no probs, will see what i can do this weekend.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    It was not my intention to promote hostility. ....It's just mildly frustrating to try to help only to have someone who clearly doesn't have any better idea tell you you're flat wrong.
    flat wrong ???????????????????????????

If this was your impression please take my word for it, that was NOT my intention.

As for "a better idea", I was under the apparently mistaken impression that Andy's lenses were in metal housings and if it was just the temperature of the lens involved then it is not only fascinating, it is also exploitable.
    Etalon heaters work exactly this way, although admittedly for wavelength selection, rather than for focus. The point being, that if they "fix themselves" there is no permanent distortion of the lenses. This IS at the very least INTERESTING!

I felt that there may well be more factors involved, however I will bow to EF's greater experience, and retire from the discussion with just one tiny question.

Just how much leverage are you getting from this telescope setup?

Cheers

Misunderstandings are common on the Interwebz.. perhaps I misunderstood you and Andy both and thus am completely wrong.. who knows. I suspect that Andy will find the cause and let us know..

Cool ! sorry to have given you a bad vibe.

In a pragmatic way you will probably turn out to be right anyway!

- but it's still intriguing

Cheers

I built a dual with LOC diodes, without this issue. The insulation or lens causes coined above seem more plausible to me than it being a property of the diode......

I use Dave's mounts, uninsulated, the P3 _high_ side driver, and a BBS on micro flexmount.

EDT: the P3 flexmod is indeed a high side driver, which was the reason to use it in this setup
    Last edited by Zoof; 11-12-2010 at 01:47. Reason: lack of coffee

Andy, another thought.. if you put a bit of pressure on that front mirror mount, does the beam move out of alignment and focus to the same degree as seen with the hot/cold scenario? That retaining bolt is quite near the front of the foot and not doing the best job of anchoring it down from the picture, almost hinging in fact.. Could be nothing, but worth checking..

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    for the past two days ive been dicking around with my quad red -

ive done a little bit of re jigging since that photo was taken and added a bigger washer.

it seems to be all diodes not just one.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

the way in which that first mirror mount is attached to the base plate looks very sensitive to thermal expansion....

ok result...

if you said telescopics you would of been................................ wrong

if you said the diode lens you would of been.................................right

ended up taking my entire 6 diode build to bits to replace the plastic lens with aixiz glass lens as they dont seem to have the same issue
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Aww crap, I just sent a payment for 50 bucks to roithner for the lenses you used in your setup, should have waited...