Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Learnt something today about red diodes

its very annoying it has to be said, i thought i had red sort but its proving very hard.

tried aixiz glass lens and they are crap and give distorted beams.

so next option is tec'ing. get the reds at a stable temp then adjust the 7020h lens. hopefully this will solve the problem. the block the diodes are in only just gets warm when touching by hand, its not like it gets mega hot or anything.

tec'ing is probably the lact option before throwing it in the bin and giving up
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy

"tec'ing is probably the lact option before throwing it in the bin and giving up "

You will be seeing a lot of me soon , every tuesday at 10am , im applying to your local council to become your bin man

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

lol, ill try put it at the top of the bin to save you routing to the bottom looking for bits
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    so next option is tec'ing. get the reds at a stable temp then adjust the 7020h lens. hopefully this will solve the problem. the block the diodes are in only just gets warm when touching by hand, its not like it gets mega hot or anything.
    Hmmm.. Well now that I have 12 7020h lenses on the way I guess I'm going to try without a TEC first. My build is going to be using a solid copper mounting block for the diodes. Hopefully that helps stabilize the temp enough. I'm also going to build diode holders out of copper instead of using aixiz since you said they have to be modified anyways. I will post results in about 2-3 weeks.

and good luck with your build Andy

look forward to seeing it. are you using a high sided driver, if not dont forget each diode needs to be insulated.

its just annoying as the alum block is barely warm, if it was getting hot i could understand having issues but its not.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

The distorted beam profile you're describing, is that measured near- or far-field? I've never had a problem with distortion in the near-field myself, maybe a little in the far-field, but nothing I can't live with..

far field.

the reason its so bad is cos im using telescopics they just magnify the problem.

if you were to using lens that give tiny thin beams you wouldnt need telescopics and wouldnt have any issues.

its cheaper to use telescopics when doing more than 4 diodes and its easier to align bigger beams than tiny beams. its just a completely different build using telescopics though

i thought i had it all sorted on my new 6 diode build i was well happy, until i turned the power up and everythign went wrong.
    slightly gutted to be honest.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

that makes sense.. I haven't tried to use them with telescopics. How is the divergence of your final beam? I've found that for show use the profile isn't that important compared to the divergence of the beam..

check out my other thread as it explains all and has pictures.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

ok some more info and photo update -

temp of alum block when off (no lasers running)

resting temp when diodes running at full power

the distorted beam using aixiz glass lens

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat