Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Homemade T.E.A. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I'm curious, how close to Iop(max) were you? When I tried it I popped more then one diode. It does not take that much cooling to damage the faucets on most red diodes.

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    When I did this experiment I was just a punk kid with no budget and just enough knowledge to be dangerous.... actually not much has changed... I just have a better budget now and a lot more patience

I really cant remember much of the details. In hind sight some of my diodes did taper off in power over a few months but it wan't anything catastrophic.

I think the diode was a 3-5mw red but can't remember the wavelength. It cost around $60US in 97.

I dug out that book, Here is the info used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	19565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 350.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	19566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISBN.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	19567

Kit

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i would *really* like to see this done on one of the new 445 diodes...

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hi Dnar,

Wow that is fascinating. No I haven't tried that one but I do have a book caller the laser cookbook I bought in the pre internet days.

It's a pretty low tec experiment but quiet interesting.

Get a cheap laser diode and decouple the current limiting section of it's driver and dip the laser in liquid nitrogen.... The beam diverges greatly but boy does the power go up. By a factor of 50-300 times I think the book said. It was so long ago can't remember all the details but it worked and it didn't seem to do to much damage to the laser.

Where I worked at the time, let me take home a liter in a thermos. It lasted a day in the fridge.

I'm back in Perth from the 16th til the 19th we should catch up.
    It's not everyday you meet a PL member from Perth.

Kit
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.