Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little video of an outdoor show I did over the weekend in Eugene Oregon

I believe that as long as the beams do not leave the confines of your property under any circumstances, including the air, you're good.. at least that's how I've always understood it. No variance is necessary on your own land with no paying public audience, no.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:39.

It sounds to me like the issue may lie with the people you listed.. It almost sounds to me like they decided that the simplest way to go about enforcing the rules is just to require everyone to submit the paperwork regardless of the circumstances. Something like "Outdoors? Submit the paperwork" is very simple and easy for them, but may not be what the law actually allows.. When you get in to too much detail about things, it causes more effort on their part. Only speculation of course..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    OK perhaps not the place, but curious.

I was informed that if commerce wasn't attached to this, say just in your own backyard that nothing is required as long as all beams are terminated.

Is this correct??
    Pilots are required to report all outdoor laser activity. Its a FAA directive, not a law. They do, believe me they do. ATC has a reporting form they fill out. Karl can attest to this.

So, if your not charging admission, its your home,its just once in a while, you have a way to BIG RED SWITCH, its not unattended, your at low power, and its a family thing, have fun, but video tape what your setup is so there is a bit of a defense if you need it. Terminate means terminate, trees can leak light.

However, if your within 7 miles of a airport with CLASS A or B airspace, ... Well, think twice. Download the FAA "Sectional" chart for your region, airports are the little yellow circles with purple rings around them.

The safety zones for being around a airport are easily found in this wiki, half way down. This Wiki is quite well done for a change:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_and_aviation_safety

If you ask nicely, I can run the SZED/NOHD/CZED numbers for you in software.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-14-2010 at 18:40.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

This FAA stuff also depends on where you are performing, Who you talk to and what "expert" decides to try and attempt to answer your question at any given time.

1) I tried to report a show about a year ago which was all terminated. After *FINALLY* getting somebody to answer the question of "Do i need approval," This was the *EXACT* answer i received:

FAA- "Are you shooting aerial *VERTICAL* beams?"
    Marc- "Nope"

FAA- "Are you projecting to non terminated points in your projection area?"
    Marc- "No Sir."

FAA- "Is your display being controlled by an operator or is it music operated or automatically operated?"
    Marc- "Computer controlled with an operator at all times."

FAA- "Why the hell are you calling us?" --->This was his *EXACT* response!
    Marc- "Well, alrighty then, thank you for your time."

I proceeded to try and get a concrete response as to what is needed and not needed for FAA approvals of outdoor shows. My EOS told me-

If your show is terminated, than FAA approval is *NOT REQUIRED* to perform your show. However, it may be smart for you to just obtain a letter of "No Objection" to protect your ass in case the fit hit the shan.

Again though, you need to be aware of the laws and regulations of where you are performing. Arizona and New York are Nazi Germany's of LAser Light Shows. If you scan a barcode scanner outdoors you better have FAA, CDRH, FBI, CIA, MIB's, Police, NFL, MLB, and every other 3 letter organziations approval there is! LOL.

The bottom line is this question has been asked 50 times to 50 different high ranking "Experts" and we have gotten 50 different answers from all of these "experts."

I was told by some pretty influential and regulation "gurus" (names you would all know and be pretty surprised of seeing. *NO* i will not name drop though ) To just:

Run your business, do safe shows, build safe and compliant equipment, Do your paperwork and you will never in a million years see or hear from us at any of your shows or installations.

We are aksing questions and trying to get concrete answers for situations which the regulators dont even know how to answer.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Remind me NEVER to do a show in Arizona.. I've said it once and I'll say it again: The whole certification system, while good intentioned, is a JOKE. And not the funny HaHa kind.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 09-15-2010 at 08:07.

why are the color beams just static?

How DARE you post on topic.. we have no need for that kind of nonsense.

Good question tho.. and @slick: It is a great show!

YOUR GOING TO ASPLODE AIRPLANES!!!!1111oneoneoneeleventheinternet

this is CLEARLY (wicked lasers/casio/jesus)'s fault!

happy now?

terminated beams with an open ceiling??? I would say "sure, what would you like me to do to satisfy FAA??? While thinking...."this guy can kiss my white furry ass"
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.