Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hazer question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Well..... I bought the MBT unit and it is in transit as I write this. One of the things that sold me was when I went to MBT's website to research it and download the manual, the manual was actually written for the Antari! It looks like it's the same unit only re-branded. The Antari sells for about $650 and the MBT was $430 so, it became a no-brainer. I'll post a full review once it gets here.

Well, it arrived yesterday and is built like a tank. Not bad - shipped on Friday, arrived Monday morning.

I was able to take some time last night to set it up along with one laser and one LED moonflower type light. I'm using 1/2 of my ballroom which is approximately 52 x 68 with 14 foot ceilings. I turned on the laser and the led light and then turned out the room lights and flipped on the hazer. Within less than a minute, the beams of the LED light were appearing. It took about 3 minutes to begin seeing the laser light. I ran it for about 10 minutes on full and used a cheap red laser pointer to ascertain where the haze was going and how quickly. I can see that I would need to haze a room this size at least 1/2 hour before planned usage. This was with the HVAC off. I was also told I really need two units. After 10 minutes, I didn't notice a large increase in the brightness and definition of the beams from the LED light as I normally see with fog.
    Nor did the laser look as defined as it has been in the past with fog. (I'm thinking there may be a need for both at times.) I'm also thinking that perhaps getting the Antari Fazer and running that along with the MBT unit may give me the sweet spot of the two.

I was only able to mess with it for 10 minutes or so and, after turning the room lights back on, you truly could not see any trace of haze which should really be good for weddings. It has 1 channel of DMX for overall output and I tested that and it works fine. And... NO odor! It is a little noisy when no one is around but, with music playing or the typical ambient crowd noise, you won't notice the hazer at all.

I hope to have more play time tonight.

Where I think the hazer will be tremendous is at home when I'm working on testing and playing shows and don't have to worry about filling up a garage or a workroom with fog.

Thanks for the update, please let us know how you go...

After three days of playing, I'm still pleased for the money and it does provide the ability to see beams well but, it really doesn't cover that big a space. You have good definition about 35 feet out and then sort of lose it - that may be in part to it only being about 425mW RGB though. Once you add a few bursts of fog to the back of the room, they become much brighter.

I think in a medium sized club, for $440, it would be a decent deal. The output is rated at 1,700 cubic feet per minute so, it would work great in a smaller venue. I really like the fact that after you turn on the regular room lights, even after an hour or two, you see NOTHING. And no smoke alarm issues here either. :-)

Still, the combo of the hazer plus an Antari 300 Fazer is going to likely be the way to go for my situation without breaking the bank. Decisions, decisions...

I personally like the water based haze fluid because it won't leave a residue on the dance floor (which can cause a slip & fall injury), but if You're happy with the unit you bought, then it was money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Where I think the hazer will be tremendous is at home when I'm working on testing and playing shows and don't have to worry about filling up a garage or a workroom with fog.
    Until the neighbors see it and call the Fire Dept.

we use Df-50's only one in theater settings and 2 in arenas. here is a vid of soem beams in the Tennessee theater only one DF-50 used turned on 30 min before showtime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVN8mPUphkg

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
    we use Df-50's only one in theater settings and 2 in arenas. here is a vid of soem beams in the Tennessee theater only one DF-50 used turned on 30 min before showtime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVN8mPUphkg
    DF-50's are simply spectacular, but out of alot of peoples price range...

i have a buddy in town and i rent his when i have a bigger gig that needs loads of particulate.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DjHeadie View Post
    DF-50's are simply spectacular, but out of a lot of peoples price range...
    I'll second that. A DF-50 is the cat's meow, but they're really pricey.

The Antari Fazer Z300 that Heroic mentioned is a nice unit. Daedal has one, and we've used it at several LEM's. It puts out a ton of fog! That unit, coupled with your MBT HZ300, would probably solve your problems, Bradfo69...

Adam

Another vote for the Antari Fazer Z300 -
    3 years in service, no hiccups, great output!

And affordable, for us "non-pros"!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I don't see why you would need 2 hazers unless the venue is truly huge. From my experience with large venues (2300 m2 aircraft hangar and old newspaper printer) one is enough. In the newspaper printer I even used my cheap stairville SD-300 fazer. It had to work hard, but it did the job really well!