Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 750mW TEC Cooled 445nm Module....

Default 750mW TEC Cooled 445nm Module....

Here's a new little project I'm working on for a forum member....

I still need to install the thermistor and wire in the TEC controller but so far it's compact and clean. A big thanks goes out to Pat for the "L" bracket design.

The way you have the tec mounted is going to be very inefficient. I would think that mounting to a decent sized base plate would work just as well as how you have the tec set up..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The way you have the tec mounted is going to be very inefficient. I would think that mounting to a decent sized base plate would work just as well as how you have the tec set up..

Yes, I know but it's the best I can do with the type of mount. I'll have to play around with it to check efficiency but I think it will run fairly stable as long as the baseplate isn't too heatsoaked and maybe a little insulation between the module and the baseplate. We'll see. I'm almost ready to test.

Why don't you attach the diode mount to a square bit of flat aluminium, then you can sandwich the TEC between the diode mount and l bracket?

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

like the sandwich idea
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

What a great tiny module!! I realy like it! Just insulate the L-bracket from the baseplate with a piece of blank electronic circuit board. Then there is no heatbridge.

Great build!!!

Why bother with the TEC at all? I am running mine in the same mounts at slightly under what you are and have it simply mounted to a block of ally and then the baseplate.
    I have no heat problems at all.

Nice engineering though

Looks good.

I would have used 4 screws to sandwich the TEC however... Apply even force over the entire TEC, not just diagonally as you have.

Q. Is the heatsink large enough? From my experience with TEC's, when they are asked to pump a lot of heat AND you don't remove the heat from the hot side sufficiently, then the cold side starts to get hot also! Not what you want!

Make sure you limit the maximum TEC current to avoid this from occurring... I learnt this myself long ago cooling IC's, the hard way of course, the way the best lessons are learnt!
    This space for rent.

I also wonder whether the northbridge heatsink is enough to cool the diode, optical table, and take the heat load from the driver and TEC itself. Really it only needs to cool the diode. The driver transistor does not need TEC cooling, but it's ok as long as it works! Have you tested it?

Thumbs up

Hey Adam;

How about cost?

Adam (the other one)