Thread: The legality's of doing outdoor Laser Displays in the UK?

Default The legality's of doing outdoor Laser Displays in the UK?

Can anyone give a definitive answer to what you need to do to be legal to use lasers outdoors, no roof, in UK airspace?
    Apart from filling out a CAP736 form and maybe informing local councils/authorities, is there anything else one needs to do?

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

no roof?

so an arena with sides but no roof or projecting across a field into the night sky?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Anywhere that laser beams can enter UK airspace I guess.

It's not going to bother many people having beams terminating on a wall - or is it???

I don't know?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

thats what i was going to say if the beams are just hitting a wall. it was just your no roof comment thats all so just thought i would check
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

As long as the CAA are informed in good time so that they can put the coordinates into the NOTAM scheme and thus warn any pilots who are potentially going to be flying near the display, that would seem to be it. Conditions are different if you are operating within 3 miles of an aerodrome’s ARP, but not on the extended runway centreline, or within 10 miles of an aerodrome but only if within 500 metres either side of the extended runway centreline - full details in CAP736, but basically you must take steps to ensure light is blocked from entering those zones.
    If it's a private party, then you have no further legal obligations unless there's something in a specific council's bylaws about laser displays - but where these exist, they usually just relate to council premises or council-licenced venues.
    If it's an outdoor party, take careful note of where there are any roads or houses and make 100% sure that no lasers can shine in those directions, otherwise you could dazzle a driver or otherwise cause people to call the police to complain. Despite any precautions, if the police turn up and ask you to shut the display down, you would be advised to comply, as they could otherwise charge you with obstruction, causing a public nuisance or anything else they can think up, and confiscate your kit. Whether this action on their behalf is legal is a matter for your legal advisor...
    If it's a commercial event, then you will have to deal with the likelyhood of council bureaucracy - Nominated safety officer, proof of 3rd party insurance, safety plan / method statement, and MPE calcs if you're doing audience scanning.

Hey Jim

Is there a problem with the clearance for the UKLEM?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for the info Mr Green, very helpful.

@ Jem - No mate, just making sure I am legal for the UKLEM.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

hope you remembered to book the fog for this meet, last couple you havent. useless ;-)
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat