Thread: Power supply for scanner case

Default Power supply for scanner case

I've been trying to figure out what power supply people are running for their scanners. I plan on running ac in to a few terminal strips and that takes care of the 110v ac stuff.

Are people still running computer power supplies for the dc? If so, would it work to set up a few strips for 5v and 12v distribution and just tie everything in there for fans, flexmods, diodes and whatever else needs it?

If this is the ticket, can anyone recommend a decent one?

Most Computer supplies wont easily give you the +- 18 - 24V that the scanners will want.

My usual approach is to use a pair of those cheap meanwell switchers (one for +24, the other for -24) which takes care of the scanner drivers directly and then use a nat semi 'simple switcher' to derive whatever else seems appropriate from those two rails.

Plenty of other ways to get there of course.

Regards, Dan.

My galvos came with a power supply and cables to the drivers so unless I'm way off base, I just need to supply 110v ac to the power supply and that should be all set.

Unless I'm missing something, I should just need 12v and 5v dc. Maybe I should just use one cheap 12v supply and use a few of the LM7805s for the 5v to save space instead of using two power supplies.