Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sextuple red build

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I am curious as to the fastener/adjustment screw threads. Are they UNC or metric?

If they are UNC, I wonder if movement would be less with a finer metric thread?
    umm your testing my brain now i think both are m2

taggalucci
    Although I don't have any of these mounts (yet), I've used similar and I've found it's ideal to get a good balance between the push (grub screws) and pull (bolts). Basically relaxing the one and tightening the other so that the opposing forces keep the mount position in check.
    now ive got everything sorted i can do some proper mirror mount testing to get them perfect.

i best get some more drawings over to dan so i can start an 8 diode build. i need to get that design right before i move onto a 3watt version
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by KevSki View Post
    Ready for Surfleet ??? Cant wait...never mind that blue rubbish...
    Oi!! Red smells!

Nice work baldy

As Kevo's the wondertart said, READY FOR SURFLEET!!! No other options Connyboy
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    Oi!! Red smells!

Nice work baldy

As Kevo's the wondertart said, READY FOR SURFLEET!!! No other options Connyboy
    im with kev, blues boring - its just naff. who would want this bright tight blue in their projector?

sorry no 3 or 6 watt for surfleet.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i best get some more drawings over to dan so i can start an 8 diode build. i need to get that design right before i move onto a 3watt version
    Oi. Con!
    Sort it out!

sorry no 3 or 6 watt for surfleet.
    ^ Piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by KevSki View Post
    never mind that blue rubbish...
    The future's bright; the future's yellow...(and green)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

oi briggs!

ive got football tonight but if i get time when i get home ill knock one of my usual quality drawings up for ya
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

ive got football tonight but if i get time when i get home ill knock one of my usual quality drawings up for ya
    Oh noes!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

ok some details regarding aixiz cases, i believe it was simon who found this issue.

aixiz cases are very poorly made, the hole where you press the diode into isnt straight on about 50% of them. just using a normal lens you wouldnt notice any problems but using telescopic yoo would notice a big problem.

if you look at my below sketch you can see the first pic shows the hole not being straight. what you need to do is use a lathe and increase the depth by 1mm as shown on my second sketch.

rob did mine for me as he has a lathe.

here is a photo of a single beam going through telescopics in a none lathed aixiz housing

here is a pic of a 6 diode mounted in lathed aixiz cases

I noticed the poor machining on these cases as well. The sample that I looked over had about 80 percent with an uneven base surface. They were easily recognized by the chatter marks the cutter left. I'm also led to think that this is going to possibly produce uneven heat distribution and the possibility for drifting beams.

Cheers, Ian

why would it case beam drifting when the diode is pressed into the case? the diode isnt going to move anywhere.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

It is only a thought and has not been tested by myself, but if the mounts receive heat from the diode unevenly, I think it could cause the beam to drift. What you have done by having Rob re-machine the cases would negate that possibility, so I'm sure that is not an issue you are going to see arise.

I used to have a business making mechanical precision measuring instruments and we would have to stabilize temperatures across an entire mechanism within a rather small threshold in order to keep things from wandering and going out of tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by ireedz View Post
    It is only a thought and has not been tested by myself, but if the mounts receive heat from the diode unevenly, I think it could cause the beam to drift. What you have done by having Rob re-machine the cases would negate that possibility, so I'm sure that is not an issue you are going to see arise.

I used to have a business making mechanical precision measuring instruments and we would have to stabilize temperatures across an entire mechanism within a rather small threshold in order to keep things from wandering and going out of tolerance.
    fair enough ill see if this happens
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat