Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Scan rates in Pangolin QS2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Winchester. Hampshire.
    Posts
    66

    Default Scan rates in Pangolin QS2

    Hi,
    This is my first post so don't be too hard on me if it's a stupid question!!
    I am the proud owner of Pangolin QS/FB3 and am very soon to be an even prouder owner of a Kvant Spectrum 1.6w. (CT Scanners).
    My question is that as the max scanning rates in the software (QS) is 30k but the CT scanners are capable of higher (40k) - will this difference have a detrimental affect on the laser output?
    Thanking you in advance for any responses,
    AndyH

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a rock in Cambridge UK
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    First off, welcome to PL... The best place on the Internet for all things laser

    Secondly, lucky you, those Kvant 1.6 watters are lovely little machines...

    Most, if not all laser frames are generally designed to run at 30k, so I don't think you will run into any problems... In fact beam shows are generally run at a lower scanrate than 30k and wider angle... Graphics on the other hand run at narrower angles and 30k is plenty...

    Cheers
    Mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Winchester. Hampshire.
    Posts
    66

    Default Thanks!

    Hi Mark,

    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    That's good news - I was a little concerned that I was going to have to spend more "hard earned" on different software....

    Cheers,

    Andy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,704

    Default

    Scan rate is capped at 30K in QS with available options being 6000-30000K in 1,000K steps (this is behind the scenes and not in the set up interface which offers 3 fixed speed options).

    If you need to go over 30K then you need Pangolin's professional software. That said, as Marc said, there's no real reason to go over 30K. People mostly buy faster scanners to achieve greater angles at 30K rather than greater scan speeds per se as most faster scanners scan wider at slower speeds than scanners maxed naturally at those speeds.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a rock in Cambridge UK
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    That said, as Marc said, there's no real reason to go over 30K.
    That's not entirely true...

    When doing beam shows, a lower than 30k scanrate is often used. This can give the illusion of a brighter effect as the laser is moving at a slower rate. Also, beams appear sharper at wider angles.

    Most laser graphics will run perfectly at 30k, and although I only have a test version of QS, which I can't connect to a set of scanners as I am using QM2000.Net's and not FB3's, I would assume that the graphic files in QS are quite simple. However, an LD2000 system on the QM can produce some very complex graphics using 3D Studio, or even more demanding are raster video style graphics... So there is indeed plenty of reason to go over 30k, ie; it will give you smoother raster video and will draw complex graphics frames with less flicker...

    But for QS you shouldn't need to exceed 30k in my humble opinion...

    Mark

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    Also depends where you are getting shows / animations ... a huge amount of the freebies kicking around have been so for decades and were designed for 8k , 12 k scanners

    Maybe someone can confirm but im sure i read pangolin are bout to launch a 6 colour channel , 60k FB3 ????????? , im sure they will swap .upgrade at very reasonable rates if you feel its necessary

    paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    west sussex uk
    Posts
    2,279

    Default fb3

    yeah paul i hear that story too a year ago still waiting
    think it all went a little slow when they started putting more of there time into quickshow
    bill said to me a couple of weeks that was at the begining of the year
    same thing happend when we was told about quick show turned up a year later


    Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Also depends where you are getting shows / animations ... a huge amount of the freebies kicking around have been so for decades and were designed for 8k , 12 k scanners

    Maybe someone can confirm but im sure i read pangolin are bout to launch a 6 colour channel , 60k FB3 ????????? , im sure they will swap .upgrade at very reasonable rates if you feel its necessary

    paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    That's not entirely true...

    When doing beam shows, a lower than 30k scanrate is often used. This can give the illusion of a brighter effect as the laser is moving at a slower rate. Also, beams appear sharper at wider angles.

    Most laser graphics will run perfectly at 30k, and although I only have a test version of QS, which I can't connect to a set of scanners as I am using QM2000.Net's and not FB3's, I would assume that the graphic files in QS are quite simple. However, an LD2000 system on the QM can produce some very complex graphics using 3D Studio, or even more demanding are raster video style graphics... So there is indeed plenty of reason to go over 30k, ie; it will give you smoother raster video and will draw complex graphics frames with less flicker...

    But for QS you shouldn't need to exceed 30k in my humble opinion...

    Mark
    I stand corrected.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post

    Maybe someone can confirm but im sure i read pangolin are bout to launch a 6 colour channel , 60k FB3 ????????? , im sure they will swap .upgrade at very reasonable rates if you feel its necessary

    paul
    I believe the new FB3 is coming out with QS and is known as the FB3 QS.

    I don't know anything about 60K or swap / upgrades though. I'd think 60k was unlikely if the software is capped at 30K although its possible as I know Bill uses FB3's at trade fairs and I'm going to presume from that he using LD2000 with them.

    Its possible there may be upgrades but I doubt the hardware upgrades will be free on a swap basis as there's an obvious cost to hardware for Pangolin.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Winchester. Hampshire.
    Posts
    66

    Default FB3

    Thanks for all your comments - all taken on board.
    I suspect for my requirements, certainly for the time being, QS at 30k will be fine.
    I have read that LivePro is available for the FB3 - whats benefits would that give me over QS?

    Andy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a rock in Cambridge UK
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    I can't make a direct comparison, but I use LivePro for all of my shows...

    LivePro is a professional live performance package which will give you complete control of your shows...

    It gives you a workspace large enough to hold 1700 cues which can be sent to up to 4 tracks. Each track can be assigned to a different projection zone or multiple zones which is a great way to set up multi projector shows...

    Cues can be built up of an image, effect, key effect and colour cycle... And each element of the cue can be independantly manipulated...

    You then have an Abstract generator, a beam chaser with up to 64 steps for mirror shows, a TTL chaser which can be used to control beam tables, full MIDI or DMX control and a very sophisticated audio/beat system...

    LivePro is so sophisticated that really it is only limited by your imagination... In fact you can run an all night show and not see the same effect twice... A *very* powerful tool to say the least...

    It's a bit of a beast to get to grips with at first, but there is a very detailed training pack available written by yours truly <----- Shameless blag

    I guess to sum it up, LivePro is the industry standard Live Player used by most professional laserists and is infinitely variable....

    Mark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •