Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scan rates in Pangolin QS2

"I believe the new FB3 is coming out with QS and is known as the FB3 QS."

Dont suppose your writing training pack for QS are you ?

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Default FB3 / LivePRO

Hi Mark,

Thanks - maybe LivePRO is a bit OTT for me! Is it expensive?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post

paul
    At the moment QS only runs on the FB3 and I only have QM2000's. Once it arrives on the QM2000 I might write a training pack, really depends on time. At the moment I am so busy with shows that spare time is a thing of the past

Quote Originally Posted by andyh View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks - maybe LivePRO is a bit OTT for me! Is it expensive?
    Andy
    Currently the suggested retail price of LivePro is $695 which is very reasonable considering its functionality http://www.pangolin.com/products/pricelist-ld2000.htm

If you are doing professional shows I think LivePro is a must, but that's just my opinion. When I started in this money pit there was no Quickshow, so I have grown to love LivePro and couldn't do without it. But maybe that's just me

There are users on here that have, or have had both systems. So maybe they would be better placed to advise...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post

paul
    QS is very easy to use but with lots of features behind the scenes if you care to dig.
    Bill has just completed over 1GB's worth of video tutorials so I'm guessing he's got it pretty much covered. Until we've seen these, we're not going to know if there are any gaps that might benefit from additional tutorials.

There's no doubt LivePro is more capable but QS is easier. You pays your money and takes your choice.

QS is still well featured with 30 projection zones. There are no seperate tracks (except in Quick Timeline, used for building pre-made shows). However, Multicue is much the same thing but perhaps with less control. It lets you run 3 cues at once per page, with more possible if another page is selected - I think the limit is 6 or 7 but you wouldn't want to go beyond that anyway because the visuals would be too busy and scanners would I imagine be struggling to draw so much. The big limitation here is deselecting cues. I'm guessing with LivePro (I've never used it) you porbably deselect a track or delete it. With QS you need to go back to the individual cue and deselect it so that can mean flicking between pages. You can reset using blackout biut then of course everything stops.

Cue control is also more basic by the sounds of it as although cues in QS are built up with effects, colours etc. You have no real control on individual cue elements once a cue is saved without editing it, but you can super-impose effects from the QuickFX box such as pre-set colour changess and warps etc. The colour controls let you control basic colours and the speed slider animation controls speed on some cues, although the beat control also affects animation speed on some cues. I think you're probably getting the picture by now though. QS does many of things LivePro does but at a simpler level without the same level of control. That makes it easier to use but means ultimately its not as powerful or controlleable for effects. Then again you'd expect that. One is very powerful home / small club software and the other is full featured full professional display software.

If you're prepared to accept its limitations, then QS is still very usable software. You are trading off features for ease of use though when compared to LivePro. You used to be able to add a Live Pro licence to the FB3 though so assuming you still can, it might be worth trying QS 1st and seeing how you get on. You'd have to check with Pangolin on that one to ensure the FB3 QS can still run Live Pro though and confirm availaibility and pricing of any upgrade path.

Now is also the perfect time to try it by participating in the beta testing.
    Last edited by White-Light; 09-20-2010 at 03:11.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    QWith QS you need to go back to the individual cue and deselect it so that can mean flicking between pages.
    I found that in the preview window if you right click whatever cue (the little boxes on the bottom left side showing each cue) you want to stop there is an option to stop that cue. No need to go back to the page it was on.

-Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    I found that in the preview window if you right click whatever cue (the little boxes on the bottom left side showing each cue) you want to stop there is an option to stop that cue. No need to go back to the page it was on.

-Gene
    Thanks Gene, something I hadn't discovered and very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post

-Gene
    you can also select the "individual" button on the top of the screen, which will select cues one off instead of stacking.

Currently the suggested retail price of LivePro is $695 which is very reasonable considering its functionality
    Just for clarity, LivePro USB ( the version for the FB3 ) is cheaper than for the other platform due to a bit less functionality afaik. I think I paid about £150-£200 for it a year or so back from Pangolin direct.

Oh, and for my tuppence worth, I've tried to use QS and have a play, but having used LP for so long now, I constantly find myself butting up against seemingly easy tasks, that just aren't so accessible in QS.
    Quite simply, having 4 tracks running in sync from the clock generator, and using F9-F12 to switch them in and out is a very good way to achieve great effects in LP!
    I think the virtual LJ thing will be cool though for those extra long gigs where you need to take a break.

Quote Originally Posted by DjHeadie View Post
    you can also select the "individual" button on the top of the screen, which will select cues one off instead of stacking.
    Thanks. I think you slightly misunderstood what I was saying though. My point was when in multicue, removing certain cues whilst leaving others intact. The only way tot do that is to remove them by individual manual cue selection as switching to individual setting from multicue setting kills all of the cues with the next selection. Phreddy had the easy solution to that which was something I didn't know about.

Sorry mate I'm a bit of a moron at times but this wasnt totally my fault, I responded from my phone so ididnt read up. If I had realized that you meant in multicue I would have pointed you towards the sane solution. +1 phreddy.