Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scan rates in Pangolin QS2

So: enhanced variant of my original question: given a scanner rating of X kpps, what scanning angle should I deem safe? And what should QS be set to?
    Depends what you are scanning.

I set up my zones so that the graphics zone is small (as it's usually targetted on a specific area like a screen, scrim, etc) whilst my beam zones are larger, and then ensure that no graphics are assigned to the beam zones.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    There's no doubt LivePro is more capable but QS is easier.
    QS2 seems like its going to be incredibly powerful... LivePRO is still going to be better at certain things but QS2 looks like it might shine in other departments, like integrating external effects/lighting via DMX for example

The 30K standard is based on only an 8 degree scan angle, which isn't much to work with unless you've got quite a bit of distance between the projector and viewing area.

http://www.pangolin.com/ILDAtest.html

Some of the adjustment is trial and error, and you'll have to find a happy medium between scan angle and scan speed.
    If the image you're projecting isn't distorting and the scanners aren't constantly screaming in agony, you're probably OK!!

Beware of rasters - keep the angle small!!

A good scan angle for beams or standard graphics could lead to a quick melt-down (literally, depending on the scanners) with a raster zone that is too big!!

(Yep - been there, done that...)
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-07-2010 at 16:16.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

This should be apparent but I can't find any reference so I'll ask.

In regard to scan angle, at least with the FB3, is the scan angle set manually in Projector Settings then the Master Size and Position tab, resize then do the math?

I may be wrong but once I do that and know the scan angle for a given size %, that relationship doesn't change right?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This should be apparent but I can't find any reference so I'll ask.

In regard to scan angle, at least with the FB3, is the scan angle set manually in Projector Settings then the Master Size and Position tab, resize then do the math?

I may be wrong but once I do that and know the scan angle for a given size %, that relationship doesn't change right?
    They don't make it easy to figure scan angle by the numbers in software, it is easiest to do the old geometry and take the Tan0 from measurements projected in the room.
    leading in trailing technology

Or better yet:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...8501#post88501

Works GREAT - no math required!!

The "right way" to approach the scan angle adjustment process can vary, depending on who you talk to, and when.

I'm certainly no expert, but "this week", I'm setting my projector size somewhere in the vicinty of an image size that will give me a 30K scan angle (per the scan angle calculator above).
    Once that is set, I use the size adjustments of the individual zones to keep everything in check.
    I generally will leave the graphics zone at or near 100%.
    I'll tinker with the size of the beams zones to get the max available size without causing distortion.

Most of the time...
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-07-2010 at 17:20.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Perfect, thanks a lot.

You know, I could swear I saw that calculator just the other day and I don't know why I didn't just download it then.