Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Laser Pointer Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by danielpower View Post
    High power laser pointer is extremely dangerous.
    Not as dangerous as some of their owners...

BTW, is should be are.
    Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    yes but if 100 balloons get sucked into your engine your going to have bigger issues
    Wasn't there a song long ago about this, Nena from memory.
    99 red luft balloons <get sucked in to your engine>
    This space for rent.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Wasn't there a song long ago about this, Nena from memory.
    Yeah, sort of. There were two versions released, one in German, and later one in English. The lyrics are slightly different in the two versions, and while they both feature "99 balloons" that are innocently released into the air by a pair of love birds, inadvertently setting off world war 3, neither song says that they were sucked into jet engines. Just that the balloons were interpreted as some form of attack, thus precipitating a military response, which was escalated on both sides until the world was destroyed. (Hey, it was the 80's and the cold war was in full effect.)

Sorry to sound obsessed, but I was a foreign exchange student to what was then West Germany when this song hit the charts over there, so it's a big piece of my past. I spent 6 months in Germany, and I really got into Nena's music. Then, when I got back to the US, she released the English version, so I got to hear it again. (Actually, a lot of the radio stations over here would play both versions.) Still have the original LP that I bought while over there. (With Nena rockin' those tight leather pants - Rowr!) Now if only she would shave her armpits...

Great song, if you like 80's pop.

Adam

Default Nena

OMG-I forgot about her armpits....

I preferred the German version myself. I was in high school during that time as well (80-84). It was a good song.

Lightbulb My 2c

dont most pilot's were glasses if this is such a problem why dont they make sure they get laser safe glasses or do they just were glasses to look cool and dont we have laser's light blocking tec again the Zero policie no any thing that some one can use wrong witch is ever thing ever made and does any one here know of a plane that crash from a laser pointer? In my state they made auto repair get certified to work on your car to stop people from getting ripped off from people working on their car that dont know what their doing but yet you can got to the parts store and buy any part you want HELLO!! We dont need more government reg's.

Default Please read my post balloons vers little green pointer

Quote Originally Posted by vpkid View Post
    dont most pilot's were glasses if this is such a problem why dont they make sure they get laser safe glasses or do they just were glasses to look cool and dont we have laser's light blocking tec again the Zero policie no any thing that some one can use wrong witch is ever thing ever made and does any one here know of a plane that crash from a laser pointer? In my state they made auto repair get certified to work on your car to stop people from getting ripped off from people working on their car that dont know what their doing but yet you can got to the parts store and buy any part you want HELLO!! We dont need more government reg's.
    @ vpkid,
    PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS PERSONALY: I see that your new on the forum and this is your first post, you should read all the posts on a thead befor postin Q's By reading all posts you gain insight to what we are discusing and making any questions based on facts you have read, to fit in. Please read them all so you have a understanding of what your asking.
    I will do my best to help you with you questions you have posted here.
    1) Don't pilots wear sunglasses? Yes we do, most of us, it's not about being cool! as an air craft climbs higher and higher in altitude the U.V. glare increases do to the thinging of the air and this helps the Eyes. how many car, motorcycle and truck drivers have you seen driving at night with sunglasses on? We who fly at night do not wear sunglasses as we whant to see every point of light that my be in our flight path Example: Tall buildings have colored light markers on top to show pilots that they thar and could be a hazard to aircraft this includes radio towers for broadcasting (2000 feet tall) All aircraft that fly at night have what we call navagation lights (NAV lights) Left side of aircraft is green, rightside of air craft is red and the rear of the air craft is white with a blinking strobe light some ware in the middle. By the color and the position of were the nav lights are located we as pilots can tell at a glance if an aircraft is comming or going a way from the aircraft we are flying. This helps us to avoid mid air collisions with other aircrafts.
    2) If we fly at night with LASER SAFETY glasses which block Green wave lenghts of light and red wave lenghths of light we would not be able to see on comming flight traffic and any ground based structures that are so high above the ground that pose a flight hazared if they happen to be in our flight path.
    3) Look up on the FAA website FASDO or call your local air port they have a office for flight safety and accidents investagations. Thair have been incidents caused by laser pointers.

You obvesly have a hand held "laser pointer" and you are not a pilot so your understanding the dangers of pointting an aircraft is little to none. A aircraft flying blind is as dangerouse as the the attack on the World Trade Towers in New York SEPT/11/00 (911). The bill for law HR 5810 will pass! If people would educate them selfves on what they are messing with, laws like this would not have to come to be, I don't like the extra restrictions any more than you do but I like even less flying my aircraft into a residental, Business building, apartment complex in a crash and burn because I got flashed by a laser pointer and now cannot see were I am going, killing my self and anybody eles that might be home sleeping or somthing in the area of the crash! Idiots with laser pointers are the same as idiots with guns when it comes to aircraft, cars, trucks or anyother vehical that requires a human operator to be multi tasking and have all senses to operate that vehical. Would you go out and point your laser at a car driver driving down the road? what do you think would happen if some one did some thing like that? how about a kid on a bicycal at NIGHT ridding down the side walk with thair sunglasses on now sudenly blinded by a joker just having fun, no meaness intended, how far would the ridder get befor the crash and burn. Have you ever rode a bicycal and closed your eyes to see if you can do it with out crashing? It's no diferent for aircraft!
    I hope this helps your understanding of the discustion of this tread.
    If you happen to be on of those people (IDIOTS WITH A LASER POINTER) and I don't think you are or you would not be asking questions on why is this a bad idea, those who point and flash aircraft are looking at 5 years in prison,and fines or their parents will be depending on the age of the convicted.
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Default Question

Beamann - If there are not planes in the sky, can you shoot the laser pointer upward without any penalty? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am curious.

We all do it from time to time (those of us that have pointers) but technically, in the US, any time you point a laser beam into navigable airspace (which is the whole sky pretty much) you need to inform the FAA of your activities. As I said though, I don't know anyone that has a laser pointer that doesn't occasionally point it into the sky at stars or for the beam's effect if it's hazy or foggy.. Just make sure it NEVER comes close to aircraft and you'll be fine.

Default WELL?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchik View Post
    Beamann - If there are not planes in the sky, can you shoot the laser pointer upward without any penalty? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am curious.
    Well said Elektrofreak
    @ laserchik,
    At this time in the U.S. If thair is no aircraft in the sky (air space) and you are not in a laser contorl area Class Brovo "B" air space or near any other airports that have a class Delta "D" Or class Charle "C" YES YOU CAN! A laser control areas are located about 10 miles from the center of air port, the closer you are with your laser the more restrictions you have on using it to the point you can not have it, on at all, outside.
    If you happen to be out side the closests airport's "landing pattern" Thair can be aircraft in the sky while you point your laser into the night sky, Just not at the aircraft not even at the tail of the aircraft nor can your laser beam be in the flight path of an aircraft. GOOGLE "HR 5810" look for 2010 111th post if you whant a better under standing of the finer details of dues and don'ts and the air space restrictions, and where they air located in relation to the air ports center.

Laser Warning Laser Pointer Safety Website

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:40.

Default YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    The International Laser Display Association hosts a web site dedicated to laser pointer safety.

Please visit http://www.laserpointersafety.com/

There is a lot of information about laser pointer safety as well as specific examples of incidents and even some state laws on this web site. For the truly safety minded persons, I highly recommend taking the ILDA laser safety course at some point down the road. Patrick Murphy, Greg Makhov and myself put a lot of work into it, and we will be refining and expanding it for next year's ILDA meeting. It is highly informative and does not contain the massive amounts of industrial, military, and medical laser safety content that scares most laserists away from taking actual safety courses.
    Rated: number one "best post on this thread"!!
    photos speak volumes compaird to words, I personaly thank you, great info.
    GOOD CALL!!