Thread: Palette Training my New Baby Projector in Pangolin LD2000 - Before and After

Default Palette Training my New Baby Projector in Pangolin LD2000 - Before and After

Here's my new baby projector (well the insides anyway)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	19695 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	19696

I also wanted to share my experiences of manual palette training in LD2000.

Although I went through the palette wizard when setting up this new projector, it didn't really do the colour variations justice (although I didn't realise this until I started messing about with the manual palette settings). Here's a picture before...

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	19691

And here's the same frame after...

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	19692

Although I could probably do with adding some more red (660nm being so less visibly bright) I've been able to get the yellows and oranges to come out. Also, interestingly given what I've read here recently, a reasonable cyan from the 532 445 combo.

So the breakdown is:

150+mW 532nm (1 x CNI PGL-V-H-532nm with 2mR option)
    250+mW 660nm (1 x LPC-815 diode with Aixiz glass lens)
    300+mW 445nm (1 x Casio A140 diode with Aixiz 445 full threaded lens, no correction)

5v on the 3 lines gave a combined reading of about 750mW. The blue and green are tamed a bit to get a better white balance, so the overall power is probably less with the fully balanced palette.

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	19693

It could probably do with getting the red a bit tighter, as the white, purple and yellow have a bit of a red hue. But you don't notice at all when it's all moving about

For a real cheap, quick 'n dirty projector, this thing has really surprised me (particularly without beam correction optics) and is more than ample for small venues, practice etc.
    Last edited by taggalucci; 09-20-2010 at 13:47. Reason: Typo

Lookin Good

Just FYI but your red 815 diode is 660nm, Very far away from 640nm.
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Lookin Good
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Just FYI but your red 815 diode is 660nm, Very far away from 640nm.
    Yeah, I noticed that mistake when I was adding images and promptly forgot to change it! Fixed now thanks

I make a point about them being 660nm because I have to turn the blue and green down so much to match the visible brightness of the 660nm and it is for this reason I'm contemplating adding another LPC-815.

A couple more photos, more of the build than the colour palette...

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	24881 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	24882

nice one!!!

i just you wish you had a bit more space to add a telescope to expand the green a little (instead of taming the fat blue and reds)

has anybody done this? (add a telescope to the green)
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    nice one!!!

i just you wish you had a bit more space to add a telescope to expand the green a little (instead of taming the fat blue and reds)

Actually, because I ordered a 2 mrad option from CNI, the difference evens out quite quickly and is not really noticeable except up close. The thought of expanding the green did occur to me.

The test with this one was not even bothering with a prism pair for the 445nm.

This was never intended to be an ultra precise graphics projector, but as a beamshow projector, this little guy rocks!

Nice, it is good to see the cyan results. The difference in blue/green shades is quite impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    nice one!!!

Could you not simple adjust the 532nm collimation lens to achieve the same thing?
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Nice, it is good to see the cyan results. The difference in blue/green shades is quite impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Could you not simple adjust the 532nm collimation lens to achieve the same thing?
    I'm scared of opening the CNI module. Would prefer to keep it as is and try to get the blue and red to match.

I guess the collimation lens on a pointer core could be adjusted. I'll see once I start trying to get the ultimate beam profile from my work-in-progress compact projector with the pointer core greenie.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post

I'm scared of opening the CNI module. Would prefer to keep it as is and try to get the blue and red to match.

I guess the collimation lens on a pointer core could be adjusted. I'll see once I start trying to get the ultimate beam profile from my work-in-progress compact projector with the pointer core greenie.
    I hear you. I went to crack open my CNI 532nm the other night adjust the focus. First hurdle was the sticker over the front/top two bolts. I paused, thought about it and went "naw, not tonight".
    This space for rent.

i have no idea, that's why i am asking

and as i read in this thread, more seasoned guys got "scared" so i will not be considering this option

and it never crossed my mind that due to divergence, the beams will even out in the far-field. silly me
    "its called character briggs..."