Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anybody want a Heavenly job?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Yeah, I got invited to go on a tower service call 2 years ago, as a guest. I watched a 60,000$ TDR/Network Analyzer locate the bullet holes on a UHF waveguide to within 6 inches. The same TDR was then used to check the studio transmitter link and a couple of abandoned antennas and cables on the 1200 foot tower. Beats climbing.

The local PBS station had pretty much abandoned their booster site on that tower, and the DTV changeover forced them to reuse the abandoned site.

The bullet holes on the TDR lined up with the heights of the lights on the tower.

The instrument was impressive, it located a few .223 holes in this stuff (pic from Jampro, inc) , 600 feet up.

Yes folks, your off the air TV comes from a piece of thick walled, silver plated, super expensive, copper furnace duct, for lack of a better word. Far less loss then a 3" diameter piece of coax cable.

Besides shooting the lights, a issue now is people trying to loot and steal the waveguides, often with the RF power "ON"

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waveguide3.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 10-05-2010 at 08:13.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Re the French video..

Hi Mom, you carried me for 9 months and spent 18 years feeding and educating me so I could possibly go splat...

What a waste, if he had screwed up... You see him hesitate where his arms are tired, right before he swings back up..

Just search "parcour" on youtube if you want to see more crazy stuff.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Really? Shooting the lights? God I'm glad I've got so much better stuff to do than that kind of ridiculousness.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Really? Shooting the lights? God I'm glad I've got so much better stuff to do than that kind of ridiculousness.
    And oddly enough if it was a large enough Waveguide and you sited through the bullet hole you could usually see it came from a bedroom window of a house. Their not even smart enough to shoot from a corn field or somewhere the could stay hidden.

Wow - shooting masts. What a crap.

And, crap, the vid is gone from youtube. I even cant find it on their website anymore, any ideas where to find it now? Tx!

Did anyone save the original video, it is no longer available.
    leading in trailing technology

I have temporarily uploaded it to my server for those that missed it:

http://www.audiovisualizers.com/vs/a...cariestJob.mp4

(should be all there within 2 min, UL'ing now)

I saved it, as I'm doing an installation for halloween with among other things, scary things in 3D via projections & HMD. This will be some of the content in the HMD. Stand on a milkcrate, strap the HMD on your head, & we'll put the fan near you, now see if you can watch it through to the end w/o falling down.

Ok, I've thought for a while that I would just love to be the guy that changes the light bulbs on these towers, but after seeing this video, I'm not sure.

It doesn't help at all that the camera is jerked all over the place by the motion of the guy's head.

More research necessary. We have three towers in the Portland area that are up in the hills, one of which I've dreamed of climbing for a while. I heard the penalties for climbing them without permission are quite steep, so I'm left with only the option of becoming a tower tech, which probably isn't going to happen.

Oh well, someday...

By the way, if any of you have a tower I can climb, I'm game. That looks awesome! I'll remake a PL edition of that video even.

-Jonathan