Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I'll extend my welcome too! You've entered a place where people actually do things with laser light. That's why we are a bit more serious about them here. It's more like a professional society than a high school club (like the shithole you mentioned in the OP). The old guys you'll find here (me included) might toss a little attitude your way, but you won't see a power tripper like Daguin baiting you into argument then banning you for disagreement. You also won't be frivolously banned for commenting on how things are run here. So again, welcome!

And despite my own bitchin' about WL and Class 3 & 4 pointers (or "hand held" lasers, whatever some marketing POS wants to call them), they're still lasers and I'm really happy you like them as much as I do. You don't need to pay to participate here, it's just not a profit machine and advertising vehicle owned by a geek interested in advertising profit (from post count) rather than lasers themselves (like the site you mentioned). There are plenty of places here for discussion about your lasers and interests with them, despite not being necessarily interested in scanning or laser shows. All Mothists are welcome here.
    Oh, that explains a lot of things here...

I can take attidute , and a lot of it
    Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    Hi Eud...
    welcome to to the Forum... Nice to see you hear...

Just a heads up... don't talk about pointers/handheld Lasers here... they are
    like a disease here... Some members will attack you if you do....

There are even members here that came from LPF that still have a bad
    taste in their mouths after being banned due to their own actions...

Enjoy your stay... most of the Members here are great...

Jerry
    Ohai Jerry, Nice to see a friendly face... or avatar at least

Well, I guess I do not have much say about stuff here until I actually have a working scanner, since everything I have is pretty much something you guys do not favour...

I'm feeling like I just took a big-ish step forward here, all I saw previously was handhelds - now I see are scanners in my future. But handhelds too

I have only seen a lasershow for once in my lifetime (I mean, in real life), and ever since I wanted to see it again. Pretty cool that I'll be making my own.

Where do I find some pictures of your guys' scanners, it's insides specifically ?

I'd like to see how things are done around here. I have only saw a few pictures on LPF about how scanners are organised inside computer case, but I'd like to see more.
    Where do I go for that?

P.S. As far as I can see, you guys do not have a reputation system around here, correct?

That's right... there is no Rep system here...
    It is not required...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Hi Eud.... (couldn't be arsed to look back and see how to spell it )

Welcome aboard. For pictures of builds people have done as well as loads of other fun pictures, just click on the gallery link at the top of the forum page.

Once you experience the world of a 'proper' scanning RGB laser projector suitably controlled by some computer software there'll be no going back. I suspect that you'll stick those rolly/pointy things on a shelf and they will remain there collecting dust forevermore.

Welcome to Photonlexicon where life gets interesting, the learning curve gets steeper and your wallet gets emptier.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi again,

Just a quick suggestion to update your profile with a little info (whateve your comfortable) so that people can see where you're from etc. I know you said you're from Croatia, so why not put that in your profile, that way each time you post a question the answer can take your geographical location into account

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi Eud.... (couldn't be arsed to look back and see how to spell it )

Welcome aboard. For pictures of builds people have done as well as loads of other fun pictures, just click on the gallery link at the top of the forum page.

Once you experience the world of a 'proper' scanning RGB laser projector suitably controlled by some computer software there'll be no going back. I suspect that you'll stick those rolly/pointy things on a shelf and they will remain there collecting dust forevermore.

Welcome to Photonlexicon where life gets interesting, the learning curve gets steeper and your wallet gets emptier.

Cheers

Jem
    Don't worry about the nickname.

Gallery link - gotchya, I though that was a link to my private gallery where I can upload pictures and stuff. Obviously this forum will take some getting used to.

I cannot wait to prove your theory to be true/false - Too bad O-like's shipping is so slow, eh?

Wallet getting emptier ? Old news

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Hi again,

Just a quick suggestion to update your profile with a little info (whateve your comfortable) so that people can see where you're from etc. I know you said you're from Croatia, so why not put that in your profile, that way each time you post a question the answer can take your geographical location into account

Cheers,
    Tony
    Oh yes ofcourse, I shall do it immediately.

I won't be putting an avatar until scanner is operational though. I want it to be epic.

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Eudaimonium. Always nice to see new folks here. Rest assured, you are among friends here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonium View Post
    Well, I guess I do not have much say about stuff here until I actually have a working scanner, since everything I have is pretty much something you guys do not favour...
    Please don't take Emory (Beamann) seriously. He was joking.

Many people here have pointers as well as projectors. Sure, our focus is on projectors, and yes there are some people here who dislike pointers, but this attitude is not shared by everyone. So please don't feel that you don't have anything to offer. Just understand that any discussions about pointers might lead to some extra drama, because of the threat of foolish or irresponsible people doing dumb things with them (like pointing them at aircraft, for example). Not saying that you are irresponsible, mind you. It's just that some members here have become rather cynical regarding hand-held lasers in general.

As for the subscription thing, I'm actually surprised Emory asked you. It's easy to tell if someone has subscribed or not. Their name turns bright blue in the message window. So there's no need to ask - it's obvious. Also, there's no requirement to subscribe. We all know how hard it is to make ends meet, especially in this economy! Also, lasers are an expensive hobby to start with, so not everyone has the means to donate extra cash to support the forum. If at some point in the future, you decide to contribute, that's fine, but if you don't, that's fine too. It's absolutely not required.
    I'm feeling like I just took a big-ish step forward here, all I saw previously was handhelds - now I see are scanners in my future. But handhelds too

Well, when you are ready to start building your projector, this is the place you'll want to come for advice and assistance. There is a *ton* of good information available here in the forums, and help is just a question away. Start thinking about what you want to do with your projector, and then start asking questions. We can guide you through the process, and offer some helpful safety tips that will make your life a lot easier when you're finished.

As for the hand-helds, that's cool too. I have a few of them myself, and so do several other members. So long as they are used safely and responsibly, you won't catch much flak from people here. But again, the focus of this forum is more geared around projectors and laser shows rather than hand-helds. (You can do *so* much more with a projector, after all!)
    I have only seen a lasershow for once in my lifetime (I mean, in real life), and ever since I wanted to see it again. Pretty cool that I'll be making my own.

There are a lot of good videos on Youtube that you can check out. I suggest searching for the following terms: SELEM, FLEM, and UKLEM, along with the word "Laser". You'll find videos from various "Laser Enthusiast's Meetings" (LEM's) where members from this forum have gotten together to set up multiple projectors to run laser shows. Very cool stuff.
    Where do I find some pictures of your guys' scanners, it's insides specifically ?
    Try the Gallery. (See the button at the top of the page, next to the PM's link...)

If that doesn't help, then start asking questions and people will post specific pictures to illustrate how the internals of a projector work.
    As far as I can see, you guys do not have a reputation system around here, correct?
    Correct. We don't compare dick sizes either.

Also, there are no moderators. We self-moderate. That is, if someone says something grossly out-of-line, someone from the community will usually comment about it, and in almost every case the abuse stops.

I'm not saying that we don't have our own share of drama from time to time, but I think you'll find that the signal-to-noise ratio is very high here on PhotonLexicon. Much higher than most other Internet forums I've participated in...

We've only had a very small number of people actually banned from the forums, and in one case a person actually came back to the forums after solving some work-related stress issues. We're very open, and very helpful, but we do ask that everyone be treated with respect. But the people here are truly awesome. They will bend over backwards to help new folks.

So, once again, welcome to PhotonLexicon. We look forward to hearing more about your plans and goals. Also, you might want to start thinking about how much money you plan to spend on this hobby, because as I mentioned above, it can get *very* expensive!

Adam

Wow Buffo, you certanly take great effort in welcoming somebody.

My eyes got a bit more opened now - I can see how stuff works here, and I really like it.

I do have basic idea how scanner works. All parts are on the way and everything is already made... in my head at least. I am waiting for PBS cube and dichros from O-like, which is just about all I need in order to make some nice beamz.

Computer case, PSU, baseplate can wait for now, benchtop setup just to get a taste of things to come ...

You mentioned videos on youtube. I watched a fair bit of them. Not one compared to excitement and pleasure of actually seeing beams around you and over you, colors so bright and alive that I could not believe my eyes!

It is really cool all you guys meeting up and setting some beamshows - I wish I could join

Anyhow, I spend this entire morning browsing the gallery, and I found a lot of nice pictures. The particular ones caught my attention, where there appeared to be a mega-epic LAN party and a lasershow happening right above it.

Finally, an excuse to miss in Counter Strike! "Wow did you see that effect... Oh I'm dead".

As far as those subscriptions go, I am not sure I really understand that... I do know what a donation is - and I'll be trying to support that if I ever can, but what exactly is a payed subscription?

About the financial plans, I am not very new to spending money on lasers.
    As mentioned before, I am co-fonding some of my laser projects with a friend of mine here locally. Neither of us alone could afford some stuff, well maybe he could, but I'm the one who builds it usually. He has very little experience in building and I'm trying to teach him.
    Looks like I have a lot to learn myself.

I have recently been informed by the creator of Spaghetti software that there are older version which are freeware. I would be fairly interested in those, if anybody can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

I have managed to cut just about every corner there is in investing to a laser scanner.
    DIY Correction amp board, diodes for cheap, free computer case and PSU eventually,
    And if my plan goes as well as it was going until now - I just might have a fully operational 20kpps RGB scanner for under $200. That's dirt cheap for you guys, but that's as highest as I'll ever go (given that I do not win a lottery or something).

So basically, no munays left for software.

Anybody has older versions, or idea where to find them ?
    Would be greatly appreciated!

Ah and again, thanks for very warm welcome!
    You've done it, now I'm addicted to this place forever.
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    -Walter Bagehot

Hey, welcome to PL!

Good to see you over here! I thought that was the little module I sold you! Glad everything is working fine.

All of the members here are very helpful ( Unless you act like a tool ... ), so if you have any questions ask away, someone will be around to give a hand.

Regards,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Hey, welcome to PL!

Good to see you over here! I thought that was the little module I sold you! Glad everything is working fine.

All of the members here are very helpful ( Unless you act like a tool ... ), so if you have any questions ask away, someone will be around to give a hand.

Regards,

Adam
    Yeah it is your Aixiz haha

Noted - thanks for warm welcome!
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    -Walter Bagehot

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonium View Post
    You mentioned videos on youtube. I watched a fair bit of them. Not one compared to excitement and pleasure of actually seeing beams around you and over you, colors so bright and alive that I could not believe my eyes!
    Yeah, that's true. Video is nice, but it's not the same as seeing it live. The camera just doesn't capture the intensity of the colors that you see.
    It is really cool all you guys meeting up and setting some beamshows - I wish I could join
    Yeah, Croatia is a bit far from most of the meets we've scheduled. The closest one to you would probably be an event in the Netherlands, but even that would be a 13 hour trip by car. (Maybe you could get a good deal on a train ticket? Might be something to think about if the members in the Netherlands decide to host another LEM...) Keep you eye on the "Meet and Greet" subforum. That's where people post information about upcoming LEM's.

Then again, Italy isn't too far away from you, and we do have a couple members located there. Maybe you could get in touch with one of them and get together for a weekend of laser fun? Granted, that wouldn't be as grand as a regular LEM, but it's a start... (Where's Steve Milani when you need him? )
    Anyhow, I spend this entire morning browsing the gallery, and I found a lot of nice pictures. The particular ones caught my attention, where there appeared to be a mega-epic LAN party and a lasershow happening right above it.
    I remember those pictures. Yeah, that was pretty cool. You know, the German LaserFreak group also holds meetings that are similar to a LEM. Though they also incorporate LAN gaming into their meets, so it's sort of a LAN party with lasers, much like the pictures you saw in the gallery. But even so, you're still talking about a 10 hour drive to get to one.
    As far as those subscriptions go, I am not sure I really understand that... I do know what a donation is - and I'll be trying to support that if I ever can, but what exactly is a payed subscription?
    Don't worry about it right now. Later on, if you decide you really like the forums and would be interested in donating a small sum to help pay for bandwidth, etc, you can click on the Settings link at the top left of the page. That will take you to your private account settings, and on the left side of the screen you can scroll down to the "paid subscriptions link". Clicking on that will allow you to set up a recurring paypal donation to the forum. It also gives you a few perks, such as extra space for messages in your PM inbox and a few other things. But mostly it's just to help out with the cost. We've got about 50 members who are subscribed so far. If you decide to sign up, you can do so for as little as $10 per month. But as I said, it is absolutely not required. It's just a nice thing to do if you decide you want to support the forum.
    About the financial plans, I am not very new to spending money on lasers.
    As mentioned before, I am co-fonding some of my laser projects with a friend of mine here locally. Neither of us alone could afford some stuff, well maybe he could, but I'm the one who builds it usually. He has very little experience in building and I'm trying to teach him. Looks like I have a lot to learn myself.
    Well, you've got a great resource here in the forums to help you both learn what you'll need to know to get a projector built. But be sure to keep your budget in mind as you start planning, otherwise it's very easy to go overboard. Remember that it's not just the lasers and the scanners, but the optics, the mounts, the power supplies, the case, the optical plate, and several other electrical components (switches, indicating lights, connectors, etc) that have to be purchased. Then you need a controller and some software. Oh, and a fog machine too. So there are lots of "extras" that can surprise you at the end if you don't plan for them in advance.
    I have recently been informed by the creator of Spaghetti software that there are older version which are freeware. I would be fairly interested in those, if anybody can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!
    The author of the Spaghetti software is a member here on PhotonLexicon. His real name is Gary Harper, but on the forum he goes by JohnYayas. You might want to send him a Private Message and ask him about any freeware versions that he might still have. (I wasn't aware that he had any free versions still available, but I could be wrong.) Still, even at only $50, his software is quite reasonably priced for all it can do.
    Ah and again, thanks for very warm welcome!
    No problem! We try to welcome all newcomers to this hobby, and we like helping people. Like I said before, if you have questions, just ask! Someone will steer you in the right direction.
    You've done it, now I'm addicted to this place forever.
    Yeah, that happens a lot! This is a very cool place to hang out. And if you think it's fun on-line, wait until you get a chance to meet some of these guys in person at a LEM! We've got some really awesome folks here, and these LEM's are as much of a social event as they are a laser event. Sure would be great if you could make it to one at some point...

Adam