Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open source Lab Module Any interest?

Default Open source Lab Module Any interest?

So I have been around Photonlexicon for quite some time. My life had taken a turn not for the worse but for the better in that I got really busy with work. I mean to the point that I would not wish it on anyone else.
    I departed for nearly three years and recently became interested again. My strengths have always been in fabrication. Electronics have always been my Achilles heel. Not to say that I am a complete idiot with it. But let's just say when I touch wires sparks will fly. So in my return to the hobby I see that the 445 diode has become very affordable. Who ever would have thought that you can push 1 watt through a diode. I mean to think that I was messing around with three phase tubes and not to mention throw in some water for cooling. I just shake my head in disbelief.

Well enough with the rambling. I recently started drawing up some case designs and came up with a few renderings. I present to you Superluminal-1

I made provision for a 18X18MM TEC at the bottom of the diode block.
    I paid attention to mount the screws at the base from the bottom up. That way I wont draw heat back towards the diode.
    I noticed that there are a ton of open source drivers here. I would even pony up the cost to make 100 of these provided we can make it for 10-15 each. That way we can save some cash on this lab module.
    It is large enough to incorporate a driver like the Flexmod.
    I did a price on quantity 100 and my cost for machining with anodizing and screws came out to 38.00 each. So my dream of 100.00 blue's is still a ways away. Unless we can address a cheap driver.
    Keep in mind that I am willing to put up all the up front cost if we can get enough interest. The run would take about three weeks to complete sooner if the interest is great enough. I am open to all suggestions. We can get away from the DB9 and use a regular 5 Volt plug.
    In any case I have a few different variations of the design. I put the side mount screws so when you bolt it down you are nor messing around in the beam path or the back side electronics.
    The diode block is a two piece sandwich type. I made provisions so you can thread a 9X.5mm Thread to accommodate O=like or Aixiz lens. I can always design a different type to use a PBS type setup I figure a design like this could allow for many possibilities.

Let me know and if the demand is there I can get these made.
    Now who is up for the challenge on a TEC driver or analog Driver?

Also including a 3D PDF file.

Ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superluminal-1-3D.PDF  

Last edited by ArcDevilz; 09-29-2010 at 13:13.

Thumbs up

Welcome back Ivan! Very nice design! Although this is coming from me; who ain't good with electronics and I have never machined anyting... ever.

My one concern is that is missing room for corrective optics, be it a prism set or cylinder lense, both of which some usres are employing in their designs.

Note, my Kvant only uses some kind of screw in lense that seems about as good as the best Aixiz and I really haven't seem much improvement over either in the photos I have seen of any other solution so the "missing" optics spot is a very small concern to me. Other people might want it there is all.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

It is there in front of the diode. I made accommodations for a 9X.5 Thread so people can screw in an O-Like lens or a Aixiz lens.

If you look at the highlighted blue section in front of the diode there are threads. I can also design a different type that allows for corrective optics. But I want to be able to concentrate on one project at a time.
    Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Ivan

Thumbs up

looks great!! can't wait to see how this progresses..

leading in trailing technology

I am hoping quickly. I am still talking to my friend about his driver. He is currently using it to drive UV diodes and it has a ton of extra features and modes that would not be needed to drive a diode. So the problem with the driver remains.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Yes I know. I have seen those and it would be easy to make the necessary changes on a future design. My thinking is that this is project one. Project two could easily be modified to incorporate those.

You can also forgo the screw on type lens and use them on a breadboard with any corrective optics being external.
    This drawing shows 5 watts on a 6X12 breadboard.

Last edited by ArcDevilz; 09-27-2010 at 13:32.

a nice idea would be to provide drivers with 90° rotated diode as well as the base model, allowing to combine them by the use of a cube

Yes sir. Let me mess around with another design concept to see if I can design another version.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

ArcDevil,

it's really best to include the corrective optics within the modules. It makes for much easier alignment, and it traps any waste beams off the optics.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post
    Yes I know. I have seen those and it would be easy to make the necessary changes on a future design. My thinking is that this is project one. Project two could easily be modified to incorporate those.

You can also forgo the screw on type lens and use them on a breadboard with any corrective optics being external.
    This drawing shows 5 watts on a 6X12 breadboard.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.