Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexmod and 445

Default Need help!

I'm staring at my bench with all my tools and a Flexmod P3 ready to be hooked up to a Laserbug and to a 445. Reading the Flexmod user manual is getting me confused about what to do/solder/connect to start with and in which order (Please forgive me, I'm French):

Interlock: Does it has to be connected to V+ to start with or just leave it alone? I understand the 7 sec delay thing but I'm confused if I have to connect it in some way just for the initial setup. What is the difference between open and close interlock?

The rest of the manual seems pretty straight forward. I just don't want to fry the P3 or the diode.
    Thanks.

Fred.

Default FlexMod 3's

Here is DRLaser said to me because I had the same question.
    The interlock is to be connected to V+. Be sure you set the currents before connecting to your laser. With proper operation the red light will not turn on unless the interlock is open or the diode loop is open. It is bullet proof cause I tried to kill mine. Ha Ha JH

Woah!

This is what I call fast and efficient support! Thanks for the tip!
    I'm at the powering up stage: Modulation +- tied together, V+ connected to Interlock and DVM connected to LD outpout as a load to set bias current. Once current set what append to the interlock assuming I get to next stage which is connecting the diode?

Quote Originally Posted by santanas View Post
    The interlock is to be connected to V+. Be sure you set the currents before connecting to your laser. With proper operation the red light will not turn on unless the interlock is open or the diode loop is open. It is bullet proof cause I tried to kill mine. Ha Ha JH

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    hey-

any ideas why in only getting ~450mW-550mW out of my flexmod3? I just put together a (what i hoped would be) 1W/445. No matter what i set the Flexmod to i only gett about max. 500mW out of it.

At one point, i potted it up and it got up to ~750-800mW but then backed off and DRASTICALLY diminished power to <100mW.

its just roughy set up now. HEatsinked and clamped to a block of aluminum. so, i dont think its getting too hot. The diode is brand new also with a lasorb on it.

any ideas?

-Marc
    I had exactly the same thing happen just yesterday and found out that my power supply was giving up. When I reached a certain current it would just dip back down to around 500mW. My supply was not strong enough.
    Larry

Woah!

I'm at the powering up stage: Modulation +- tied together, V+ connected to Interlock and DVM connected to LD outpout as a load to set bias current. Once current's set what append to the interlock assuming I get to next stage which is connecting the diode?

Default amps

Quote Originally Posted by infredible View Post
    Woah!

I'm at the powering up stage: Modulation +- tied together, V+ connected to Interlock and DVM connected to LD outpout as a load to set bias current. Once current set what append to the interlock assuming I get to next stage which is connecting the diode?
    Be sure to start low 50ma and work up to what you like. Good luck JH

OK, I got past the threshold setup at around 40/50 mA then I connect the modulation to a 5 volt source but after a while the red LED comes on and I can't adjust max current? Should the Interlock be disconnected before adjusting max current? What's going on? Help!

Fred.

Be sure to start low 50ma and work up to what you like. Good luck JH

Quote Originally Posted by infredible View Post
    OK, I got past the threshold setup at around 40/50 mA then I connect the modulation to a 5 volt source but after a while the red LED comes on and I can't adjust max current? Should the Interlock be disconnected before adjusting max current? What's going on? Help!

Fred.
    If the red LED is coming on it means either your interlock loop is not solid, your diode loop is not solid, or your power supply voltage is sagging too close to the diode operating voltage.

Forgive this question if it seems dense, but is it or is it not possible to power a 445nm diode with 5V input voltage using the flexmod P3? It is possible with the previous version, I have one in my projector right now, but if the new version no longer can it throws some kinks in my plans..

EF-

it seems to me that it can work on 5V input as long as the power supply has enough current to throw at the Flexmod. I may be wrong, but i think it is ok to use a 5V. however, going to a 12V may be better. Im sure Dr. Lava will chime in and confirm or deny what i said.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems