Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Palette Differences from Using Various Laser Wavelength Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    lots of colour trumph
    Apologies for the brevity and for the slight possibility of sounding crass, BUT:
    WHO THE FCUK CARES?
    Seriously...

This thread started off well; but now now sounds worse than an artington-fartington type talking about Dulux colour swatches...

What's 28nm between friends?

*shrug*
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I don't think the words in your quote Daniel are actually mine re-reading above but I take your point. On colour selection its each to their own, we all have preferences. That said, it never hurts to debate and investigate them.

I can't figure how on earth 445nm (or any blue) will have any impact on yellow at all.. There shouldn't be any blue in there except maybe whatever the 445nm diodes put out at idle, which ain't much.

I know Mark. But for some reason it seems to affect the luminosity of may of the lighter colours. I can't offer a logical scientific explanation, only what I've seen and what I've seen is that projectors with 473 are very bright and punchy across the board but only make quite basic purples and pinks. Projectors with 445 make very strong purples and pinks but tend to have more muted upper colours. I'm aware there's no mixing of 445 in many of these other colours, I can only presume that there's something going on that affects adjacent beams when 445 is in use. Maybe its even a trick of the eye, but it just seems to me that when 445 is in a fan the lighter colours suffer a reduction in luminosity.

I know pictures aren't a good way of comparison but on a forum thats all there is to be had.

Here's a Ministry video using 473 and a projector of similar power to yours (i understood it was 3 watts).

Your beams are nearer the axis of the eye and are pencil whereas the ministry beams using 473 are more off axis and its a fan. So the pictures should favour your projector.

However, look at the difference in brightness, colour density and punch. The yellow in the 445 fan appears muted by comparison:

There are others I could post as even the green looks better but as I said pictures don't really count for much.

However, I am still convinced from what I've seen of many many videos and at UKlem that whilst 445 has great advantages for purples and pinks and white, it does nevertheless (somehow) impact on the other colours in multicolour fans, tunnels etc.

Hmmm, sorry but I have to ask, how do you know that Ministry laser is a 3 watt using 473nm? There are no equipment specs on their website and the size of their shows would lead me to believe they use far more than 3 watts, probably with a dedicated yellow line, either solid state or mixed gas... Certainly looking at some of their video's, some of their systems use gas lasers, you can tell by the difference in green sometimes on the same video.

Like you correctly say, a photo doesn't tell you much and this comparison is a little unfair.

Until yesterday I was getting less than a watt out of the aperture due to dodgy scanner mirrors. My photo was taken in my living room with a crappy camera and atmosphere delivered by 1 Marlboro cigarette, I can clearly see that they were using a fair bit more fog than me...

To throw a proverbial spanner in the works, here is a picture taken by a professional photographer of my laser at a gig and I would say there is nothing wrong with that yellow.

And before anyone jumps on me with the MPE thing, all of my shows are calculated using LS Show software, which I have verified with manual pen/paper calculation, measured with a Coherent meter and approved by local HSE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10BOF-0506.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	19972
    Mark

The yellow in the Ministry image on the right looks like Cu Vapor to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Hmmm, sorry but I have to ask, how do you know that Ministry laser is a 3 watt using 473nm?
    I can't remember now Mark as it was a long time ago, but I made various enquiries after seeing their videos and I'm sure someone told me (maybe on here) it was 3 watts and they were using laser systems made by RGB Laser Systems in Hungary. I can't vouch for any of it as fact.

To throw a proverbial spanner in the works, here is a picture taken by a professional photographer of my laser at a gig and I would say there is nothing wrong with that yellow.

And before anyone jumps on me with the MPE thing, all of my shows are calculated using LS Show software, which I have verified with manual pen/paper calculation, measured with a Coherent meter and approved by local HSE.
    What can I say Mark, fantastic!! I'd love to chat with you privately about that tunnel and the power levels as its gorgeous.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

When comparing photos of laser shows, there's a couple things that should be remembered:

different cameras respond to laser light differently. my cell phone shows 405 as blue. my d200 doesn't show it at all.

even using the same camera for each shot, there may still be a color shift due to white balance settings. never use "auto" white balance.

factors such as ambient light, exposure time, particulates in the air, etc, may also have in impact.

it's not safe to assume the camera response to the frequencies of the laser light are the same as the human eye.

so... use the same camera, a tripod (a cable release also helps), set and lock white balance on a grey card, try to keep exposure time consistent, and work under controlled lighting.

have fun, get some lattes, then share the photos with the rest of us.

Hmmm, sorry but I have to ask, how do you know that Ministry laser is a 3 watt using 473nm? There are no equipment specs on their website and the size of their shows would lead me to believe they use far more than 3 watts, probably with a dedicated yellow line, either solid state or mixed gas... Certainly looking at some of their video's, some of their systems use gas lasers, you can tell by the difference in green sometimes on the same video.

Like you correctly say, a photo doesn't tell you much and this comparison is a little unfair.

Until yesterday I was getting less than a watt out of the aperture due to dodgy scanner mirrors. My photo was taken in my living room with a crappy camera and atmosphere delivered by 1 Marlboro cigarette, I can clearly see that they were using a fair bit more fog than me...

Mark
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

What can I say Mark, fantastic!! I'd love to chat with you privately about that tunnel and the power levels as its gorgeous.

Cheers,

It's around 800mw Green (actually 1.5 watt dialed back) and 600mw 642nm red Kvant, there is also 500mw 445 and 300mw 473 in the projector... Attenuated below the safety zone in gentle steps and a *very* good photographer... But, here's the thing; I had too smaller mirrors on the scanners and total output full whack from the aperture was around 900mw... I'm now seeing considerably more since yesterday when I swapped the scanner mirrors out for bigger/better ones...

He has sent me a bunch of stunning shots for my website, all under copyright of course... I won't post em on here, but will let you know when the site is all updated.. Well worth a look...

Just goes to show that with the right camera and skills to use it, you can get some amazing pictures...

Mark

Default Comment on Pics

Absolutely amazing pics! The tunnel was by far my fave and I have enjoyed the thread. Thank you for posting them.

Here's another one, this time taken with a normal compact camera, so not as good, but still, nice colours...

Name:	26430_434184213134_583958134_5576358_3008378_n.jpg 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	19988

Mark