Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Announcing DigiSynth!

Much of the work produced with DigiSynth was done for a private company that was selling content, so the completed shows from them are not included. However, the community of users are encouraged to share content at whatever level they are comfortable. To get the ball rolling, they were gracious enough to let us share their very large patch library with hundreds if not thousands of abstracts and live beam effects.

I've been itching to produce some songs that will be distributed freely, so I expect that there will be some available in the coming months. Do you have any requests?

-chuck

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Curious if DigiSynth comes with any shows (it looks like it has a show feature built in, in addition to the abstract generator), showing some of its abilities. If so any chance of posting a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchuck View Post
    Much of the work produced with DigiSynth was done for a private company that was selling content, so the completed shows from them are not included. However, the community of users are encouraged to share content at whatever level they are comfortable. To get the ball rolling, they were gracious enough to let us share their very large patch library with hundreds if not thousands of abstracts and live beam effects.

I've been itching to produce some songs that will be distributed freely, so I expect that there will be some available in the coming months. Do you have any requests?

-chuck
    This would be very cool, I am really wanting this software (have the needed audio card and lightpipe dac), but will not have the cash untill tax time. Hopefully it will be able to be had at a discount still then (perhaps a deposit ahead of time).

No direct request other than it be nice to see some newer material instead of more versions of floyd, hendrix, doors, led z etc.
    leading in trailing technology

I heard a copy of this was going to be the grand prize at next year's SELEM!!

JUST KIDDING!!

Hey, Chuck !

Glad to see you guys got this ready for prime time this year -
    I was blown away when Greg (displaser) and I got to see a preview in Killleen iin summer '09!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys and the latest toys at next year's SELEM!!!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

yeah man, DigiSynth is moving forward quite a bit from where you saw it!

You missed some fun at ILDA, most of the content displayed in laser was from us. It was a great time, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing with it more publicly... there's a joke in there somewhere.

Definitely still my favorite piece of software, and I'm glad to be on the team!

-chuck

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchuck View Post
    You missed some fun at ILDA, most of the content displayed in laser was from us.
    Yeah, that was more than a little embarrassing... The only one's who had their equipment working were you guys and the Russians (who were running LaserGraph DSP, if I remember correctly), at least for the lase-off, that is. (Though even during the awards ceremony, there were issues with the Pangolin shows... Guess that'll teach them to try running it on Windows 7 without testing it first!)
    It was a great time, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing with it more publicly... there's a joke in there somewhere.
    Snicker... Nope - I'm not going there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka
    I heard a copy of this was going to be the grand prize at next year's SELEM!!
    While that would be one *hell* of a door prize, you realize that the software is useless without both light-pipe output on your computer (which isn't all that expensive to add) *and* the transcoder module that converts the light-pipe signals to ILDA, right? Those transcoders are awesome units, but they're also north of $1500 each... So unless they're prepared to donate a copy of the software *AND* a transcoder, I don't see this happening. (And yes, I realize you were joking, but I didn't want anyone to get their hopes up...)

Personally, I'm holding out for a "hobbyist" version of the software. Something with perhaps a more limited feature set and a direct USB-to-ILDA dongle that bypasses the transcoder unit. Sure, you can't run the signals over long distances, but most hobbyists have their computer parked right next to the projector. And yeah, you lose all the cool adjustments in the transcoder, but a lot of that could be done in software if it had to be.

But realistically, I think it's going to be a while yet before Chuck and Matt have time to work on a hobbyist product. They're pretty busy as it is getting the professional version out the door. Those of us on a budget will just have to be patient...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    While that would be one *hell* of a door prize, you realize that the software is useless without both light-pipe output on your computer (which isn't all that expensive to add) *and* the transcoder module that converts the light-pipe signals to ILDA, right? Those transcoders are awesome units, but they're also north of $1500 each... So unless they're prepared to donate a copy of the software *AND* a transcoder, I don't see this happening. (And yes, I realize you were joking, but I didn't want anyone to get their hopes up...)

Adam
    But you can use a cheap broken $25 black face ADAT as the transcoder, you only need the electronics to work not the deck.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    But you can use a cheap broken $25 black face ADAT as the transcoder, you only need the electronics to work not the deck.

Yes! I have an old ADAT-XT here that I have run stuff through for a while now. I've not used the black-faced units for a while but they should work fine. if you can get them cheep, do it! I imagine they will mostly have bad heads and rollers. I think those were the ones that you could just bridge the caps to get DC out weren't they?

The Transcoder is absolutely great for the pros, with the geometric correction and track assignments. It has solved a world of issues for me including helping to get linear colors from some of the crazy DPSS systems out there. Imagine not having to rely on a palette for that!

-chuck

Previously, you mentioned ASIO output. Will any ASIO sound device work or do you look for a specific driver name? Currently, Spaghetti is using ASIO for output to the sound card DACs so I was wondering if the same would work for DigiSynth?

I have a transcoder and I also have the ADAT solution. They work identical. I also tried the soundcard method and that works fine to. So don't let the transcoder stand in the way.

Here's my request list:

"This space"- Royksopp
    "Generator First Floor"-frelance whales
    “Becoming a Jackal” – Villagers
    “Billie Holiday” - Warpaint
    “By Some Miracle” – Philip Selway from Familial
    “Arrow” - Kathryn Calder from Are You My Mother?
    “Buttercups” – Fran Healy from Wreckorder
    “More O’s” - The Spruce Campbells from Mosques, Museums, and Mausoleums
    “Frost Giant Demo” - The Spruce Campbells from Mosques, Museums, and Mausoleums

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Previously, you mentioned ASIO output. Will any ASIO sound device work or do you look for a specific driver name? Currently, Spaghetti is using ASIO for output to the sound card DACs so I was wondering if the same would work for DigiSynth?

I don't see why not, and the more channels you have the better. I don't have any modded boards to test it with. Are you guys using 5.1 output cards with mods? Last time I was doing anything with modded sound cards was back when we could only get XY out.

-chuck