Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Announcing DigiSynth!

Quote Originally Posted by mpolak View Post
    Weird! Yeah, it absolutely should NOT be doing that. We have a lot of units out in the field that (due to venue placement) never get power-cycled and run for months at a time on a single boot without issue.

When you cycle power on the unit you should see it come up with a quick splash screen that will indicate the version of the firmware loaded. We are currently at v1.31. If you have an older version let me know and we'll hook up via email so I can get you the newer files and instructions on how to reflash.

If the firmware update doesn't fix the problem then I would be happy to send a replacement unit down for a full swap-out if necessary; is this a new unit or have you had it for a while? Most of the sales go to vendors, so we often don't have any idea where they ultimately wind up. We've had a few (albeit rare) problems with inconsistent silicon that will cause odd problems that never manifest when we do initial test. Nothing we can do about our supply chain (beyond use different chips when alternatives are available - there's several proprietary parts in there), but we CAN always offer great customer service!
    it came via LaserNET... I think someone plays with it and nobody fesses up to it to be perfectly honest with you, but I will check the firmware and get back to you... its been there maybe a year or two, cant really remember now

Quote Originally Posted by mpolak View Post
    Actually I seem to remember him now that you mention it, though I admit to being a bit bad with remembering names! I will mention it to Chuck, though, so we can follow up. Planetarium guys seem to magnetically cluster together, too (also being a small industry!) and perhaps that goes doubly for laserist-planetarium guys.
    I 100% understand the names thing, I have to reintroduce myself to everyone every year at SELEM lol

I have the memory of a goldfish

it is a small community... if i could afford to live off the pay I would love to be one of them

but for now its just something I do for free because I love the planetarium and getting 250~ people that are stoned out of their mind to cheer is pretty exhilarating

Thumbs up ...A match made in Laser Heaven?

Hi DS -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stargasm_lo_wm.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	19866

Let's chat, ASAP... I think Tel will be more 'efficient' than PMs or email... cool?

Talk to ya soon...
    J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I love the image! Great use of star filter and who know what other effects! is that yours? Can't wait to talk, you've got my number in the PM, call me!

-Chuck
    DigiSynth Patchmeister

There is a new video posted for those of you interested in seeing DigiSynth in action a little bit.

This is from an earlier beta version that had some debug stuff turned on and there are a few other quirks that have been cleaned up in more recent builds, but it shows some basic functions of the new expandable oscillator. The "Hyper Oscillator" was our working title to distinguish it from the regular oscillator we had been using.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiSynth View Post
    There is a new video posted for those of you interested in seeing DigiSynth in action a little bit.
    Interesting GUI... 'virtual-patching' reminds me a bit of 'MidiOX'..

...Will-be in touch...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

That's pretty cool. Looks like you can create all kinds of signal configurations. But, that is something an engineer would use. What does the live show operator use once the different configurations have been built? Physical hardware with sliders and knobs that controls different patches that they select? Or is it open via some sort of interface like MIDI or programming SDK? I am a software engineer so I am curious technically... but I also create my own laser show software so don't tell me anything you don't want to reveal.

That is really cool. The patching reminds me of soundweb by bss audio.

Unfortunately it is way out of hobby land budget but I am sure it is going to be an awesome tool for pros.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That's pretty cool. Looks like you can create all kinds of signal configurations. But, that is something an engineer would use. What does the live show operator use once the different configurations have been built? Physical hardware with sliders and knobs that controls different patches that they select? Or is it open via some sort of interface like MIDI or programming SDK? I am a software engineer so I am curious technically... but I also create my own laser show software so don't tell me anything you don't want to reveal.
    Hey man, we are glad you like it, yes it is all about being flexible to create an unlimited number of configurations. When I was with AVI back in the 90's we used synthesizers to create most of the imagery for the shows, whether it be corporate, planetarium, or beams. DigiSynth in it's most basic description is a Digital Synthesizer, a digital replacement to the classic image creation and manipulation techniques.

There is a live interface "DigiLive" that is getting merged back in. All of this has been in used for a few years and is getting a major facelift and rewrite for the release version. We can accept midi control, and recommend the BCF2000 from Behringer. It is a great little 8-fader, 8-knob, 20-button control surface for performance. Couple that with a touchscreen and it is phenomenal.

More videos will happen as time goes along, as well as screen shots, etc. on the website. Don't worry, there's not much that is sensitive now that we've announced it, and all of this is talked about on the website. Besides, a great programmer doesn't need to copy what others have done.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    That is really cool. The patching reminds me of soundweb by bss audio.

Unfortunately it is way out of hobby land budget but I am sure it is going to be an awesome tool for pros.

chad
    Node-based editing certainly isn't new, there are many uses of it in a variety of industries, especially audio. We think it is a great fit for us, as it allows the highest level of freedom for the user.

As for the pricing and intention for this product, yes it is currently aimed at the professional market. It definitely isn't a "Fisher-Price: My First Lasershow" but if you compare to the pricing of basic and pro versions of other tools out there, it isn't off the charts either. There are several hobbiest level folks that look toward a more professional involvement and are interested in quickly creating content that is smooth, clean, fluid and performable.

It is definitely my favorite piece of software, and I've used enthusiastically and productively, well before officially being part of the team.

-chuck
    DigiSynth Evangelist

Hey Chuck and Matt,

Congrats on a fine piece of software.. I'm going to try to get LaserDome in PA to give me a live demo ASAP. This level of live abstract creation has always been a dream of mine.

Best Regards,

Mark
    Last edited by ImageLight; 09-25-2010 at 19:25. Reason: Oops wrong name on top

Curious if DigiSynth comes with any shows (it looks like it has a show feature built in, in addition to the abstract generator), showing some of its abilities. If so any chance of posting a list.
    leading in trailing technology