Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red diodes

Default Red diodes

I am replacing the red diode in my rgv projector. it's a open can 650nm 200mw diode.
    I whant to know if I should be considering replacing it with a 640nm or other red wave length diode and dose it have to be a open can diode due to the optics or would a sealed diode work?
    I am not up on why,what for and types of diode pakages, any insight and wisdom would be helpfull!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

sealed can will work fine.

as we have no idea whats currently in your projector we dont know
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

absolute case you'd need to change the collimator.

Default ooopppsss

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    as we have no idea whats currently in your projector we dont know
    R=650nm @ 200mw, G=532nm @ 200mw, V=405nm @ 100mw.
    I belive the red is 4.5mm open can unles the standard is uniform at 5.6mm.
    Is this helpfull Andy_con ?

not really photos would help
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Default pics of red module

Attachment 19831Attachment 19835Attachment 19834Attachment 19833
    1 2 3 4

1) G, R, V.
    2) LENS removed "open can diode"
    dose this help?

Default ????????????

I don't know how that attachment got thar, and I can't seem to delete it, so ignore it,it's a repeat of the barrel view, pic #2.

Ah- that looks like the o-like housings I have used, replacing the diode should be a snap. Just be extremely cautious about case-grounding/insulation (i.e. don't short it out to the case and smoke a 640 $$). Luckily I have learned this using $10 diodes first. Have you ever swapped a diode, & are you doing this as an upgrade, or is your open-can shot?

If you have never swapped these before (sorry if you have done this a million times), I would suggest practicing on some cheapie sleds first. Oh, and don't forget the Lasorb.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Ah- that looks like the o-like housings I have used, replacing the diode should be a snap. Just be extremely cautious about case-grounding/insulation (i.e. don't short it out to the case and smoke a 640 $$). Luckily I have learned this using $10 diodes first. Have you ever swapped a diode, & are you doing this as an upgrade, or is your open-can shot?

If you have never swapped these before (sorry if you have done this a million times), I would suggest practicing on some cheapie sleds first. Oh, and don't forget the Lasorb.
    -Mike

Right now I whant to replace the bad 650 diode with a nother 650 or should I insted put a 640nm in it's place. I don't know how to press it in to the o-like, it's a open can diode and is pressed in from the front of the o-like housing. I do know that these diodes (open can) are more ez to be damaged by handeling or pressing them in, Is their a special tool to insert these type diodes? or a make shift one?
    No. I have not swaped out one yet, but soon.
    I know what the LASORB is but I don't know how to apply it here in my case, The RGV that the red module comes out of is factory made and the driver board is for all three LD modules and I belive that the multi driver board is the TTL modulator for colors blending as well