Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorlabs diode sockets

Default Thorlabs diode sockets

I'm sorry I can't remember who posted about these wonderful items, I think it was 300evil but apologies if not, credit where credit is due anyway...

I bought a few of these after seeing the post about them and have to say, I couldn't imagine doing the soldering job I've just done on a bare diode! They simply make it easy peasy to prep any sub assembly (like a LAsorb and lead wires) and then you just plug on the back of the mounted diode. At roughly £3 a pop they seem expensive for what they are, but make life a easier and undoubtedly safer for the diode

http://www.thorlabs.de/NewGroupPage9...=302&pn=S7060R

I found these for a transistor and is the same raster.

http://www.effectsconnection.com/osc...roducts_id=505

If you want a cheaper one you can just buy a socket for a to-93 transistor, they are the same thing. And yes they are very nice to have! The only thing to watch out for is to make sure you have a good solid connection to the diode, if you accidentally pull the connector off the diode (or worse install it) while the power is on you will almost always kill the diode, lasorb or not.

I'll be tacking the whole assembly in place with a blob of epoxy once its fitted. Should prevent it pulling off accidentally, but still possible to make changing the diode easy if I should break one.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that may have been me... here are some pictures for the curious.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I'm sorry I can't remember who posted about these wonderful items, I think it was 300evil but apologies if not, credit where credit is due anyway...

I bought a few of these after seeing the post about them and have to say, I couldn't imagine doing the soldering job I've just done on a bare diode! They simply make it easy peasy to prep any sub assembly (like a LAsorb and lead wires) and then you just plug on the back of the mounted diode. At roughly £3 a pop they seem expensive for what they are, but make life a easier and undoubtedly safer for the diode

http://www.thorlabs.de/NewGroupPage9...=302&pn=S7060R
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Our friend The_Doctor posted about hacking up a DIL socket to make mucho cheapalada LD sockets -

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2160

Anyone know why he spat the dummy and legged it BTW

Or use above link , spend less than a minute and have 20 shipped to your door for $16 ...job done
    I .... like water , will always choose the easy route

I have ordered some up as it looks like it will take a lot of the stress out of connecting up " the unmentionables "
    as my soldering ability is legendary ...( for being crap )

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Have you tested those sockets with 300mA (red diodes) or 600mA or even 1000mA (blue diodes)

those Sockets are made for low current applications, with Higher current I rather uses a soldered connection.

I am sure they will handle 1A of current - well my 3 that I puchased look like they will anyway
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

here,s a picture of the one that i liked because they dont take a lot of room:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3_pin_transistor_socket_1.jpg