Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi everybody (in my best Dr Nick voice), I'm Bob. I live just outside of Tampa, Fla; I'm a retired paramedic and a full time mobile DJ; and I was directed here by Hayden @ Pangolin & Phyllis @ LSDI, both in Orlando. I have always been into lasers and am now offering lasers for events like school proms/homecomings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, with plans of eventually moving away from the DJ'ing and focusing my business on providing laser shows for the above (I'm finding that nobody wants to hire a 60 year old DJ).

I bought my first laser system in the late 1980s, a four laser RGYO system using single color gas lasers with X&Y controls that only made squiggly lines. Currently I use Pangolin LD2000 and QS, I have two X-Laser 650mW RGY lasers and can't wait to get my 1.5w RGB lasers in October.

They saw you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I look forward to proving "them" wrong and learning a lot from everyone here.
    Last edited by DJBob; 09-24-2010 at 03:55.

Default wellcome

Wellcome to the forum bob
    I am sure we can all teach you some new tricks

Welcome to the forum Bob!

Maybe we need an AARP section on the forum. Several of us here would qualify to post there - including me.

-Gene

Lightbulb

If you can make the 2 hour drive to Tavares we will probably be having another FLEM in November. October if I can talk Adam into it earlier. IT isn't as big as SELEM whiich means less people, less "work" and more laser shows. I get to drink more Captin and Cokes too. There is much more to learn and see at SELEM but FLEM is usually heald 10 minutes from my house, so I am kinda biased.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 09-24-2010 at 07:08.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

If you can make the 2 hour drive to Tavares we will probably be having another FLEM in November. October if I can talk Adam into it earlier. IT isn't as big as SELEM whiich means less people, less "work" and more laser shows. I get to drink more Captin and Cokes too. There is much more to learn and see at SELEM but FLEM is usually heald 10 minutes from my house, so I am kinda biased.
    hehe- a 2 hour drive to produce some FLEM- try explaining that to your friends. Depends on the day but it's not out of the question.

Thumbs up WELCOME!!!

Hey Bob,
    Glade to have you on board (no pun intended). My name is Emory, I do laser show advertising and I to had my first laser back in the early 1980's 8mw HeNe red, Then Green, Then yellow, I still have them all, I am glad they are a hard sealed system, I don't run them at all any more.
    Look foward to reading your posts!
    WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Quote Originally Posted by beamann View Post
    Hey Bob,
    Glade to have you on board (no pun intended). My name is Emory, I do laser show advertising and I to had my first laser back in the early 1980's 8mw HeNe red, Then Green, Then yellow, I still have them all, I am glad they are a hard sealed system, I don't run them at all any more.
    Look foward to reading your posts!
    WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!
    This is a picture of my first laser control head. I can't find any pictures of the lasers themselves, but they were blue metal rectangular boxes. I had red, orange, yellow, & green
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails original laser system.jpg  

Cool Hey, Old Skool!... ;)

Hi Bob -

Warm Welcome to The Funny Farm.... ...awesome to have yet another 'seasoned' member, here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    ....I'm a retired paramedic
    Interesting, how several of us PL'ers / Laserists also had time in as EMTs... I guess it has something do to with being good at 'crisis management' (ie: controlling spurting arteries / finger-sweeps / CPR, etc = fixing hose-leaks / driver / galvo issues / PC-reboots, etc all seconds-before 'curtains' / show-start...) ...the show - and lives - must 'go on'... I was one class away from making EMT-D when I had to bug for family-reasons... Maybe someday I can get back and finish my cert... (prolly the same day money grows on trees...

Again, welcome, and will look forward to possibly meeting ya at a FLEM or SELEM or other-such excuse to get away from the grind...

Drop me a line / email sometime... I promise to respond faster than the CDRH...

peace...
    J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I like this place. It's the first time in years that I've been a junior anything.

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, DJBob! Nice to see another Florida laserist. As Aaron already mentioned, we'll probably be holding a Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meeting in a couple months, so keep an eye on the meet and greet sub-forum for details about that event. It's nothing like SELEM, but it's also more fun in a way, because there's less going on. Basically it's just a bunch of guys getting together to play with their projectors for a day.

RE: Jon's comment about lots of us having EMT-backgrounds, yeah, that does seem rather strange. But he's right, there certainly are a lot of us with medical training. That's probably a good thing, given that we like to fool around with 3 phase power and water cooling, all in the same housing! (Fortunately we haven't had anyone do the 60-hz shuffle at one of these events, at least not yet!)

Adam